See answer #6.
I am working on a friend's Dell's desktop PC which has failure in booting up (Windows XP).
Here is where I am stuck:
Using Knoppix LIVEDCD to boot up and access the HDD, I attempt to rename and then replace the corrupted system file but get an error message saying file cannot be deleted. The error message when I attempt to rename and also replace file, states: Could not delete file...
What this looks like to me is that even though I can see the file and even copy it to a USB memory stick, there is no permission to modify/delete it.
Any reason why this is the case and what can I do to overcome this?
See answer #6.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Thx Harry!
I simply click on the drive to get the menu, then enabled write access and it worked. I fixed the Windows corrupted file and now Windows boots up.
Knoppix rock!
I don't think you read or believed all of what I wrote. For a long time Linux efforts to write to NTFS have met with disaster. I personally believe this is by Microsoft's own design. There are some vague claims that Knoppix 5.x might be able to write to NTFS, but I'm far from convinced that's it's safe and stable yet. I did not advise you to write to a NTFS partition.Originally Posted by KnoppixIsOk
Unfortunately, the corruption that has been seen sometimes ruins the partition right away, but sometimes it leaves the system apparently working for a while and then the partition self destructs later. I wish you luck, and please let us know if your system stays working in the coming months. But if I were you, I would also make sure that I have good backups of everything I needed, just in case.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
I did read what you wrote. Good advise too.
If you want to verify the integrity of your Windows NTFS file system, from inside Windows you can run the Microsoft CHKDSK command from inside a Command Prompt window, or you can right-click on the drive letter in Windows Explorer and choose Properties -> Tools -> Error Checking -> Check Now
This will not tell you if the data contained inside a file is corrupt, but it will tell you if there are problems with the file system integrity and the program can even make an attempt to fix them.

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025
$22.00
Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e/4Kn HDD
$199.00
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$69.00
Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99
Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99
Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99
Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION*
$319.79
HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00
Sun Oracle 7357761 14TB 7.2K 3.5 12G SAS-3 HDD Hard Disc Drive w/ Coral Bracket
$249.99
HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99