Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Booting from USB

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2

    Booting from USB

    I have a USB key that has Knoppix on it and can boot on any computer that supports booting from USB.

    Howver, I would like to use it on an old computer that doesn't support booting from USB...

    Is there anything I can do? Slax seems to have a CD you can create that will boot from USB for you... does Knoppix have something like this?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Booting from USB

    Quote Originally Posted by s1pacrat
    Slax seems to have a CD you can create that will boot from USB for you...
    I don't know the answer, but your post raises some questions:
    • 1 If the Slax CD really boots a USB flash device rather than just loading stuff from the CD and then pretending that it booted the USB drive, why not just use that to boot your Knoppix UBS device? If you can't use it then I submit it's not really booting the USB device.

      2 If you're going to start the boot from a CD, why not just boot from CD? Go ahead and use the USB for configuration and storage, but use the CD for what it is. That will free up more of the USB device.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2
    I think I will go with the second idea, but

    1) The Slax thing does not work, I tried it

    2) I already had a USB key but the CD I will have to download over a very limited internet connection.

    Thank you.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    94

    Re: Booting from USB

    Quote Originally Posted by s1pacrat
    I have a USB key that has Knoppix on it and can boot on any computer that supports booting from USB.

    However, I would like to use it on an old computer that doesn't support booting from USB...

    Is there anything I can do? Slax seems to have a CD you can create that will boot from USB for you... does Knoppix have something like this
    put in the normal knoppix 5.1.1 CD and also the knoppix USB key, boot from CD as usual with cheat code :

    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1

    and it will see your USB at sda1 (where it most likely is) and boot it there instead of the knoppix on CD.

    try also using sdb1 instead of sda1 in the above if using sda1 fails.

Similar Threads

  1. Problems booting. freezes when booting
    By jtsymbo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:08 AM
  2. Booting booting... CRASH
    By mortfrog in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 06:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.62