-
Old Laptop, Boot from Floppy, Load from USB
Here'es the deal, I have an old laptop here at work that has been overly used and thus the hard drive is dead, infact the caddy is missing. Also the CD-ROM has a laser that no longer moves, thus no functionality there either. On top of those two, the USB will not boot.
On the plus side, I have a working floppy and USB. I managed to get DSL to boot using a boot floppy loading DSL-Embedded (with syslinux) that was copied over to the USB flash drive. It works, but DSL is very minimal compared to Knoppix.
Is there a USB boot flopppy option? I haven't seen one in searching as of yet.
-
when you do a harddrive install of knoppix 5.1.1 it produces a knoppix boot floppy, maybe the floppy so produced will boot a USB but i haven't tried it.
-
Anyone tried this. I have another computer I can try this one if no one else has a better idea.
It does seem weird though that there are no boot floppies available for those with older computers. If I could boot from a floppyy and load from USB it would make it so I could use this old laptop and reduce the moving parts dramatically.
-
did a quick try to boot the USB from the knoppix floppy but was unsuccessful, possibly because my floppy drive has a record of failing to read floppies for various reasons. was also hard to tell what actually booted as i have a sole knoppix hard drive install but the ensuing boot dialog was not a USB boot.
puppy linux has some info on grub/floppy booting and it may be necessary to use the info there to modify the knoppix floppy. havent had the inclination and the similtaneously required presence of mind to wrap my head around the puppy info as yet. however if you do it, I dont mind if you steal the show and post the required knoppix modifications. I am generous like that.
Similar Threads
-
By suvio in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-23-2005, 12:04 PM
-
By Matrox462 in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-09-2005, 11:59 AM
-
By Valent in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-02-2004, 01:48 AM
-
By holyboy in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-05-2003, 03:45 PM
-
By skefrank in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11
$352.73

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99