Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: mounting issues

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2

    mounting issues

    I'm trying to salvage some information from my aunts hard drive using knoppix (she got a pretty bad virus), but I'm having trouble mounting her hard drive.

    I use
    Code:
    mount  -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /media/hda1
    and get the error

    Code:
    Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument
    Couldn't mount device '/dev/hda1' : Invalid argument
    Mount failed.
    I obviously am doing something wrong, but I'm uncertain what. Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Arthan Khwelnul

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2
    More specifically, the hd is from windows xp and therefor is ntfs. Is the invalid argument error the result of a bad command or a stupid mistake on my half or is there something potentially wrong with the hd itself? (One of my friends said that the hd's filesystem could simply be corrupted beyond recognition) Any help would be very much appriciated.

    Arthan Khwelnul

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Does Knoppix's desktop show an icon for the partition? If so clicking on it should open it (in read only mode, for file recovery). If the desktop doesn't show the partition icon then yes, the partition might be damaged beyond Knoppix's ability to open it. Or it could be that the partition is fine, but the partition table is mucked up (unfortunately, not uncommon with Windows). If you don't have a partition icon, try looking at the man pages for testdisk and gpart. You may want to use Google for aditional documentation as well. Either of the commands has the ability to examine the disk and try to repair a bad partition table. There is not much they can do though if the partition itself is destroyed.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104

    Re: mounting issues

    Quote Originally Posted by samuri_tux
    I'm trying to salvage some information from my aunts hard drive using knoppix (she got a pretty bad virus), but I'm having trouble mounting her hard drive.

    I use
    Code:
    mount  -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /media/hda1
    and get the error

    Code:
    Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument
    Couldn't mount device '/dev/hda1' : Invalid argument
    Mount failed.
    I obviously am doing something wrong, but I'm uncertain what. Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Arthan Khwelnul
    If your aunt has an SATA hard drive, the name might be "/dev/sda1" instead of "/dev/hda1"

    In any event, you will probably need to have superuser or "root" authority in order to mount the device from the command line. Something like this:

    sudo su
    mkdir /mnt/sda1
    mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
    konqueror /mnt/sda1 &

    But the best choice is to follow Harry's advice and use the desktop icons.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3
    Hi, i have the same problem with one of my hard disks. I couldn't mount it even though it appeared in my desktop. I can't even open it as read only "recovery", as you mentioned.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3
    You guys Rock! It's working now. I used the testdisk.

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. if you have a home directory and you have issues mounting
    By maestrobwh1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2009, 07:35 PM
  2. Mounting a HDD? BackUp issues.
    By b.line in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 02:20 AM
  3. USB CD-RW mounting issues?
    By Matthew87 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2007, 10:08 PM
  4. mounting MINIROOT = issues
    By MoFoQ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2003, 08:30 PM
  5. Samba Mounting Issues
    By schnarff in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 02:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER picture

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER

$349.99



IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED picture

IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED

$165.00



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC  picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC

$1299.00



IBM 02AN553  01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN  Internal Server Systems Adapter picture

IBM 02AN553 01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN Internal Server Systems Adapter

$199.99