-
mounting issues
I'm trying to salvage some information from my aunts hard drive using knoppix (she got a pretty bad virus), but I'm having trouble mounting her hard drive.
I use
Code:
mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /media/hda1
and get the error
Code:
Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument
Couldn't mount device '/dev/hda1' : Invalid argument
Mount failed.
I obviously am doing something wrong, but I'm uncertain what. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Arthan Khwelnul
-
More specifically, the hd is from windows xp and therefor is ntfs. Is the invalid argument error the result of a bad command or a stupid mistake on my half or is there something potentially wrong with the hd itself? (One of my friends said that the hd's filesystem could simply be corrupted beyond recognition) Any help would be very much appriciated.
Arthan Khwelnul
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Does Knoppix's desktop show an icon for the partition? If so clicking on it should open it (in read only mode, for file recovery). If the desktop doesn't show the partition icon then yes, the partition might be damaged beyond Knoppix's ability to open it. Or it could be that the partition is fine, but the partition table is mucked up (unfortunately, not uncommon with Windows). If you don't have a partition icon, try looking at the man pages for testdisk and gpart. You may want to use Google for aditional documentation as well. Either of the commands has the ability to examine the disk and try to repair a bad partition table. There is not much they can do though if the partition itself is destroyed.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: mounting issues

Originally Posted by
samuri_tux
I'm trying to salvage some information from my aunts hard drive using knoppix (she got a pretty bad virus), but I'm having trouble mounting her hard drive.
I use
Code:
mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /media/hda1
and get the error
Code:
Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument
Couldn't mount device '/dev/hda1' : Invalid argument
Mount failed.
I obviously am doing something wrong, but I'm uncertain what. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Arthan Khwelnul

If your aunt has an SATA hard drive, the name might be "/dev/sda1" instead of "/dev/hda1"
In any event, you will probably need to have superuser or "root" authority in order to mount the device from the command line. Something like this:
sudo su
mkdir /mnt/sda1
mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
konqueror /mnt/sda1 &
But the best choice is to follow Harry's advice and use the desktop icons.
-
Hi, i have the same problem with one of my hard disks. I couldn't mount it even though it appeared in my desktop. I can't even open it as read only "recovery", as you mentioned.
-
You guys Rock! It's working now. I used the testdisk. 
Thanks
Similar Threads
-
By maestrobwh1 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-25-2009, 07:35 PM
-
By b.line in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-11-2009, 02:20 AM
-
By Matthew87 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-20-2007, 10:08 PM
-
By MoFoQ in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-27-2003, 08:30 PM
-
By schnarff in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-21-2003, 02:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors
$290.00

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

Dell OptiPlex 7060 Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Windows 11 Pro FAST
$159.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99