Quote Originally Posted by trant
edit2:
I found an interface which seems to work because it did not spit an error at me. I think it was called atwin? but now, how does this thing work? in windows i would scan, click on my network, enter in the password/key in a single field and that was it. here there are so many options and settings i dont know what to use.

in the scan result my network has the flag [WEP] so i choose plaintext with WEP and the only fields not greyed out are 4 key fields on the right. what is that? i put the key i used in windows on the first line and tried it but in the event log I keep seeing "Trying to associate with (some max address) (SSID= ... freq= ... )"
followed by
"Authentication with 00:00:00:00:00:00 timed out."
over and over again

why is it timing out? I tried the IEEE authentication but now it has like 10 fields i can fill in and i have no idea where to fill in my key and what to put in all the other fields. So i just put it in the password field and tried it but i get same result as above.

ugh this is hopeless
Hi, I just did a test on WEP and I successfully connect Knoppix 5.1.1 to my old wireless network. I wrote a FAQ on the Network FAQ. You can check it out there.

Basically there is nothing new on this one but you have to issue a command like

Code:
iwconfig wlan0 key 6162636465
to specify the key value.

Make sure you are root and also you know the key in hex. i.e. 6162636465 means "abcde"

Hope it can help.

Rgds,
Chip