Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't get write access to my Windows partition

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4

    Can't get write access to my Windows partition

    I am having trouble getting write access to my Windows partition, which fails to boot now. I want to try to try some repair techniques but it requires moving files around, which requires write access.

    It is an NTFS partition.

    On Knoppix, it mounted the device as:

    /dev/hda1 on mount point /media/hda1

    The first thing I tried doing, is right-clicking the hard disk icon on desktop and chose "change read/write mode". Said yes to the popup and then got the following message: "The remount command failed. Maybe there is another process accessing the filesystem currently".

    Then I looked online and found a command I could try on the command line, so I wrote it as this:

    mount -t ntfs -o rw /dev/hda1 /media/hda1

    And I get the following response:
    Failed to mount '/dev/hda1': Operation is not supported
    Mount is denied because NTFS is unclean. Choose one of these actions:
    ...

    The first option had something to do with making sure windows shut down cleanly- not sure how it determines that but anyway this is impossible because windows crashed.

    The last option was to mount in read-only mode. Not what I want.

    So I try the second option which is to run ntfsfix, typing: ntfsfix /dev/hda1
    and it just hanging there. unless this is supposed to take a really long time (over 10 minutes now) then I think it's safe to say it ain't working. (though I am still leaving it to hang there, afraid to try and cancel it. hoping by some miracle it will finish)

    Any other ideas?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4
    It looks like the problem was with my hard drive. It has passed it's prime and due for retirement. R.I.P. my Hitcachi Travelstar...

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    12
    "The remount command failed. Maybe there is another process accessing the filesystem currently"
    I had that error too. That happened sometimes when I tried to mount my hard disk after I started my internet or internet browser. I fixed it by mounting my hard disk immediately after startup (before starting any program), and then saving my settings in the configuration archive.
    The next time I started Knoppix the problem was solved and mounting was no problem anyway!

    Failed to mount '/dev/hda1': Operation is not supported
    Mount is denied because NTFS is unclean. Choose one of these actions:
    ...
    This problem also appeared at my hard disk lately. I'm not sure how I solved it at that moment....probably it was shutting down Knoppix, booting Windows and starting Knoppix again.
    But...that won't work for you, because your Windows crrrrashed.
    Maybe you could try restarting Knoppix and then immediately mounting the disk after startup?

Similar Threads

  1. Read/Write Access to Windows NTFS parition?
    By blt975 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2004, 10:39 PM
  2. Can't write to my Windows partition
    By Peterobe in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 02:05 AM
  3. Unable to access windows partition as user 'knoppix'
    By area in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 07:21 AM
  4. i can't access my windows partition or my 2nd cd
    By Chris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2003, 07:32 PM
  5. windows partition access
    By RdH in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-30-2003, 01:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$139.99



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99