-
Can't get write access to my Windows partition
I am having trouble getting write access to my Windows partition, which fails to boot now. I want to try to try some repair techniques but it requires moving files around, which requires write access.
It is an NTFS partition.
On Knoppix, it mounted the device as:
/dev/hda1 on mount point /media/hda1
The first thing I tried doing, is right-clicking the hard disk icon on desktop and chose "change read/write mode". Said yes to the popup and then got the following message: "The remount command failed. Maybe there is another process accessing the filesystem currently".
Then I looked online and found a command I could try on the command line, so I wrote it as this:
mount -t ntfs -o rw /dev/hda1 /media/hda1
And I get the following response:
Failed to mount '/dev/hda1': Operation is not supported
Mount is denied because NTFS is unclean. Choose one of these actions:
...
The first option had something to do with making sure windows shut down cleanly- not sure how it determines that but anyway this is impossible because windows crashed.
The last option was to mount in read-only mode. Not what I want.
So I try the second option which is to run ntfsfix, typing: ntfsfix /dev/hda1
and it just hanging there. unless this is supposed to take a really long time (over 10 minutes now) then I think it's safe to say it ain't working. (though I am still leaving it to hang there, afraid to try and cancel it. hoping by some miracle it will finish)
Any other ideas?
Similar Threads
-
By blt975 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-13-2004, 10:39 PM
-
By Peterobe in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 02:05 AM
-
By area in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-30-2003, 07:21 AM
-
By Chris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-11-2003, 07:32 PM
-
By RdH in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-30-2003, 01:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OWC 16TB ThunderBay 4 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 External Hard Drive RAID - 100% Health
$1212.00

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00