I just can't get to the bottom of this. If I open an ogg on my Knoppix/Debian drive from my SuSE drive, XMMS displays accented characters perfectly. In Knoppix/Debian with the same settings in XMMS, and the same font, the only accent I can see is i with an umlaut! There is no ç à and so on. The characters with ç and à are simply missed out.
I've upgraded XMMS, played about with dfontmgr (sorry, I really can't understand the man page and I don't know what controls which fonts are available to XMMS anyway) all to no avail. It's really begining to annoy me. I suspect that there's some script somewhere controlling this, but where?
Edited: must have been really tired -- I put Gentoo where I meant Debian/Knoppix!![]()

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster
$895.00
Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00
Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00
4 Rare Vintage S-100 Video Boards
$595.00
Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8
$170.99
Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black Y2k USA Made
$85.00
Vintage Black Leather Rolling Pilot Case Briefcase Locking Dual Combination 18"
$69.95
Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99
NEW StarTech ATXPOWER250 250W ATX PC Power Supply Vintage Pentium II III AMD K6
$94.98