-
Remastering Distro
So according to this site here:
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_...ring_Howto#APT
Warning: apt-get upgrade is a BAD IDEA. It will, quite probably,
render your KNOPPIX remaster unbootable, or broken in some way. A far safer method is to only upgrade packages as necessary.
So... I know that what I want to do *WILL* require me using apt-get. But I don't want to break my newly customized Knoppix remaster.
I've seen other remasters, based on Knoppix, that are totally bootable. So I KNOW that using apt-get and STILL having a bootable remaster is possible.
How?
I haven't been able to find any decent info on this how... Can anyone point me in the right direction???\
Thanks...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Because it all depends on what packages are upgraded.
Doing apt-get upgrade causes apt to upgrade almost everything that it can, with limitations in the case of complex dependency manipulations.
apt-get dist-upgrade is even more aggressive and will perform wide-scale package removals and replacements when these are required by major changes to an application package.
The above upgrade methods are designed for, and work with, 'pure' Debian installations.
The safest approach, as you are using Knoppix, is to apt-get install *only* the application packages that you want to install (or maybe upgrade).
Usually (as demonstrated by the many successful remasterings) this is OK, but there are no guarantees - you just *might* be unlucky in the application that you want to install - it may come down to trial and error.
In any case, before doing apt-get install whatever.deb do
apt-get -s install whatever.deb
which will only simulate the installation and will report what it would do.
-
So that leaves me with 2 questions...
1. If I do the "simulation", how can I find out if it breaks the booting?
2. If I DO break the booting, how can I go about fixing it?
-
Senior Member
registered user
1. The only way is to try it - the amount of output the simulation produces is only indicative of how radical the upgrade will be. Be prepared for failures - to minimise burning 'coasters' burn to CD-RW or run the iso image in e.g. VMware Player if you have it.
2. The ways in which the system could 'break' are so open ended that I couldn't predict, nor, probably, advise a fix for them. The cleanest way is to forestall, rather than 'patch', a failure 
... but be not downhearted
. If you update your /etc/apt/sources.list file as advised here
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27800
you are very unlikely to have problems.
Similar Threads
-
By cinematography in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-04-2005, 01:07 AM
-
By sancelot in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-28-2004, 01:39 AM
-
By PrOCesSkIlL in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 29
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
-
By silian87 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:46 AM
-
By dbojan in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount
$489.99