Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: installing mindless automation

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    10

    installing mindless automation

    Hi

    I'm trying to install mindless, while running the latest knoppix off cd. I'm used to just apt-getting whatever I need, but mindless isn't in debian. I'm pretty lost without apt-get.

    -I downloaded what I think is the right file
    -I decompressed it
    -moved to the new directory
    -typed "make"

    Make put out a very long error. I don't know if this is the problem but it said something about gtk+-2.0 not being found in the path.

    -Am I going about this all wrong?
    -is this gtk business the problem?
    -is there something I can apt-get to straighten out this gtk business?
    -basically just how do you install mindless?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    Going to the Debian packages site
    http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
    and putting
    gtk+-2.0
    in the Package Contents Search Box will tell you that you will get this in package
    libgtk2.0-dev
    So
    apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
    then try make again.
    Repeat the procedure if necessary for any other files subsequently requested by make

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for the speedy reply.

    but when I try to apt-get libgtk2.0-dev:

    -some packages could not be installed
    -since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that the package is simply not installable
    -the following packages have unmet dependencies
    -E: Broken packages

    Am I right in thinking this is because my knoppix disk (5.1.1) has fallen behind the debian archive and I'm basically boned until the next knoppix release which could be months away?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    Oops yes, I forgot to advise you to edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file.
    Because Debian releases have moved on since Knoppix 5.1.1 came out, the meanings of stable testing unstable and so on have shifted.
    I find that Knoppix 5.1.1 successfully installs or upgrades packages from what is now the 'stable' (designated 'etch') repository.
    So it's safest to comment-out all URL statements for testing, unstable and experimental.
    I also like to edit 'stable' to 'etch' , which is clearer and more future-proof for when Debian goes up to the next full release number.
    Then do apt-get update again.
    Ensure that there are no 'aborted' configuration files on the system by
    dpkg --purge libgtk2.0-dev
    and re-try
    apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
    Good luck

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for the help. The last thing went off without a hitch; libgtk2.0-dev is installed and output from make is a lot more friendly. There is only one error and it created a bunch of .o files.

    The Mindless User's Guide said to copy the executable "mindless" to a directory in my path, so I typed "echo $PATH" to find a directory. Then I copied "mindless.o" to /bin/. I tried both clicking on it and entering "mindless" or "mindless.o" from the prompt, nothing happened. Is this right and failing because of the error or am I doing it all wrong?

    This is make's error:
    failed to load "ICONS/lifeset.svg": Couldn't recognize the image file format for file 'ICONS/lifeset.svg'
    make: *** [_images.c] Error 1

    -is this something I have to deal with or can it be safely ignored?
    -Is this something else my system is missing? That debian search had hundreds of results for 'svg'

    Thanks for your patients.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    I'm afraid I don't know anything about mindless itself, but the make error seems to imply that the installation instructions may be omitting to tell you about some needed configuration in the host system. I hope that you can get a better informed answer from somebody else.

    A good place to put mindless is /usr/bin/mindless which should already be in your path. Check that it is executable (it should have been generated as such).
    Then try running mindless (or /usr/bin/mindless) in a User console so that you can see any error messages if e.g. the icon image problem were a show-stopper (it may not be).

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for your help, I found a workaround here, everything works and it seems I'm in the clear.

Similar Threads

  1. installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch
    By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90



Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Solarflare XtremeScale X2522 Dual Port 10/25GbE SFP+ Network Card picture

Solarflare XtremeScale X2522 Dual Port 10/25GbE SFP+ Network Card

$280.00



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00



Trenz Electronic SFP to SMA Adapter Board PCB Module picture

Trenz Electronic SFP to SMA Adapter Board PCB Module

$105.00