I just downloaded 5.1.1, and it has the same problem I saw in the 4.X releases.
The mouse keeps freezing periodically -- perhaps every five seconds, for about a second each time.
My hardware: Asus Terminator (A7VT) with Sempron 2800+
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse with wheel and LED, plugged in via USB
(the mouse has a USB-to-PS2 adapter as well, but it burned out a few months ago).
At this point, I am still using Knoppix 3.7, because that is the most recent release I can find which doesn't have either this mouse-freezing problem or the weird new filesystem for USB-flash drives (which tended to go splat and lock the machine up for several minutes, and sometimes caused data loss). I first noticed the mouse freezing in 4.1 when I tried that (never saw 4.0).
Any ideas? Thanks!

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99
NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99