Quote Originally Posted by drb
I now use sidux which is pure debian sid + very useful scripts.....
I've looked over the information on this (but have not downloaded and tried it). Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the point of this. According to the sidux.com site, "sidux is a full featured debian sid based live CD with a special focus on hard disk installations". If I want a hard disk install of sid, I'll install sid (I currently have Lenny on an old system but might try real Debian sid on my newest system). Why would anyone complicate things with this for a hard disk install when sid itself is available, and why fool with a Live CD whose focus is admited to be on hard disk installs if you want a Live CD?

Back when Knoppix first came out, a Linux install was a real mess. You had to record IRQs, IO addresses and lots of other stuff before you even tried to install Linux, and you usually had to abort the install when you found that some cryptic value was needed that you hadn't thought to record. People saw how cleanly Knoppix detected hardware and decided to try to install that, even though it wasn't intended for hard disk install and had many design choices that caused problems after a hard disk install. People asked "why, if Knoppix can detect the hardware, why can't the hard disk based Linux distros do the same ?'". Well, in the years since, Linux hard disk installs have become much cleaner. I had to do a little more of my own disk allocation with Lenny than with etch, but the hardware detection was a breeze. People got what they asked for, but they still persist in installing Live CDs when real intended for hard disk install distros like Debian seem a much better choice to me.