-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
The answer is for customers to let the manufacturers know they are not happy with the lack of open Linux support, and to vote with their purchases. Rather than say "Perhaps it will be possible to connect with my Linksys USB wireless card", do some research before buying a wireless NIC (or other device) and be sure that there is Linux support, or don't buy it.
I agree, but I'm not heading to Office Depot to buy a whole new setup to run Linux on. I'm converting from Windows. My laptop appears to be incompatible with Knoppix. (Not sure about other distros). And replacing my fairly new laptop isn't an option. If it was, I'd buy a Mac Book and not need to worry about making Linux work. As for my Linux wireless card, I have it on hand so I thought I'd try it. If it won't work, you can bet whatever I replae it with WILL be Linux friendly.
But I agree 100%. Vote with your dollar. EXACTLY why I drove an hour to the nearest Mac store last night. The wifes PC died (again) and I got tired of dealing with Windows crap. So I took my checkbook and drove an hour and bought her a new Mac mini. She loves it. Linux was not an option for her. But it is for me. So IF I can find a way to make it work on this laptop, I'll run it. If I like it, I'll keep running it. If I don't, I'll run Windows until my laptop dies then buy a Mac.
Similar Threads
-
By dtzxdtzx1 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-31-2007, 11:20 PM
-
By rpk073 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-14-2005, 12:09 PM
-
By sparticus in forum Laptops
Replies: 9
Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
-
By dave52355 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

LOT OF 10 NEW Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-Line PoE Speakerphone VoIP Desk Phone
$699.99

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Lot Of 5 Poly Edge E550 82M91AA IP Desktop Phone PoE New In Box
$1500.00

YEALINK W60B DECT VoIP BASE STATION VOIP SIP FOR UP TO 8 HANDSETS + OEM ADPTR
$50.00