Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: No wireless

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj
    All due respect but, stop patronizing me for a second. Don't assume so much. I didn't say I couldn't find c:\windows. I said I couldn't find c:\windows\inf. The windows directory is right where it should be. The inf directory isn't anywhere to be found.
    OK, so you know windows. Then you should notice that your Windows XP is not installed in a normal fashion. You never told us what OS your machine is running, so I assume it is running Windows XP.

    Finding the c:\windows\inf step basically tries to scale down the scope of searching for the inf file. After you point to "c:\windows\inf" and start the search, "c:\windows\inf" is the starting point to start the search.

    If you cannot find the inf folder, then just use the c:\ instead, and then perform the same search as the FAQ did. It probably takes longer to run because now you are searching the whole c: drive.

    If you still cannot find it and you have another drive say d: drive. Search for it as well. The whole objective of the FAQ section is to find the corresponding inf file windows is using. It is somewhere in one of your harddisk but they just fail to put it at the default folder.

    Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj
    As I said in my first post, I have a Compaq V2000. It has a button, just north of the keyboard. You push it once, it lights up, to turn the wireless on and push it again to turn it off. I always have it set to on. When I boot the Knoppix cd, it's off and pressing it doesn't turn it on. Maybe because of this, I just can't run Knoppix. I'm cool with that. At least with a final answer, I can quit screwing around with this and move on to something that may work.
    Sorry sir, I don't have a Compaq V2000 and I never saw one. I don't know why they created a switch that make you believe you are in control and decide when you can turn on the wireless hardware but at the end you cannot. You should file a complain to Compaq saying their switch is not working.

    Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj
    I just find it hard to believe that with how much Linux guys rave about how much better Linux is, something as simple as getting connected could be this hard.
    It's pretty sad isn't it. What I can see here is all those Linux guys used their free time to develop a very good free OS here but the commercial world does not support it.

    In real world, preventing your enemy to success is our success. So if I WERE the big OS company, I will not allow other manufacturers to support my enemy. If they did, I will not certify their drivers in my product.

    Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj
    Perhaps it will be possible to connect with my Linksys USB wireless card, but I assume I have to find this stupid inf folder first.
    I don't have a LinkSys USB wireless card. But I did have a dirt cheap Trendnet wireless USB card. That one is easy, I can find the inf file plus the sys file from the driver CD directly. Don't even need to go thur the installation step.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj
    Perhaps it will be possible to connect with my Linksys USB wireless card, but I assume I have to find this stupid inf folder first.
    With my limited Winodws knowledge, I just think of another point. Directory inf by default is marked as hidden directory. So you have to setup your windows explorer in order to see it.

    Go to Windows explorer ==> Tools ==> Folder Options
    ==> View Tab ==> Click on "Show Hidden Files and Folders" ==> Apply ==> OK

    Hope that help.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7
    A ha! Found the INF folder. You were right, it was hidden. I never even thought to check that. I'm not sure what you mean by the button Compaq added to make me think I have control over the device. It is a stupid design, I agree, but it's not imagined control. With the button off, I have no connection. And Knopix doesn't locate the device while it's booting, so I assume the button does give me the control it's supposed to. I think Compaq added it to conserve battery when using the laptop in a place with no wireless network. Perhaps searching for a network that isn't there uses a lot of battery power?

    When I get home from work, I'll try to follow the rest of the FAQ now that I have the info to get past step 2.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj
    A ha! Found the INF folder. You were right, it was hidden. I never even thought to check that. I'm not sure what you mean by the button Compaq added to make me think I have control over the device. It is a stupid design, I agree, but it's not imagined control. With the button off, I have no connection. And Knopix doesn't locate the device while it's booting, so I assume the button does give me the control it's supposed to. I think Compaq added it to conserve battery when using the laptop in a place with no wireless network. Perhaps searching for a network that isn't there uses a lot of battery power?

    When I get home from work, I'll try to follow the rest of the FAQ now that I have the info to get past step 2.
    Good news, you are one step closer to success.

    Rgds,
    Chip

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 11:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2005, 12:09 PM
  3. No Wireless Extensions/No wireless card found?
    By sparticus in forum Laptops
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
  4. No wireless extensions with Zonet USB wireless w/knoppix 3.4
    By dave52355 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 09:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$56.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



HP 240GB Enterprise 5100 PRO 2.5

HP 240GB Enterprise 5100 PRO 2.5" SATA SSD Solid State Drive MTFDDAK240TCB

$24.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Samsung 850 PRO 512GB 2.5

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB 2.5" Sata SSD Drive MZ-7KE512 MZ7KE512 Health Above 90

$52.99



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$25.00