-
AMD HomePNA (phoneline) card not working
I used to be a UNIX user years ago, never an administrator. A few years ago I managed to put a Linux system on a 486 box with VLB on a coax network, and got Samba (sort of) working on it, but I still find Linux baffling.
I currently have an all Windows, all TCP/IP home network. I want to migrate my Windows XP Home system to Linux.
This computer has two PCI network cards. One is a Realtek 8139 that goes to an Internet router that connects to the Internet and most of the home network. I'm not having any problems with it.
Windows says the other card is an AMD PCnet-Home Based Network Adapter (Generic). In Knoppix, lspci says it's an AMD 79c978 [HomePNA] (rev51) with PCI ID 1022:2001. It goes to a similar card on a Win98 box named SLUG in the basement, two stories below the XP.
I boot from the Knoppix 7.04 live CD. I see that it recognizes eth0 and eth1. I can get to the Intenet. I can get to all the Windows boxes that are on the Internet router. I can't get to SLUG. SLUG shows up in the workgroup, probably because the network's browse master knows about it, but when I try to open it I get an error message.
I tried ndiswrapper. Windows uses netamdhl.inf and pcnt5hl.sys for the HomePNA card, so I copy them to root's home directory and run the GUI ndiswrapper configuration. In a root console, ndiswrapper says there's no new hardware and an alternate driver called pcnet32. If I modprobe ndiswrapper and modprobe -r pcnet32, eth0 (or eth1, depending on how Knoppix decides on bootup) no longer exists.
Then I realize that SLUG and both cards are using DHCP, because Windows XP bridged the cards together. I plan to try to bridge them when I finally install Linux, but until I do, SLUG and the HomePNA card need fixed IP addresses. So I go down to SLUG and give it a fixed IP address, the same one it got from DHCP. That works in Windows. Back in Knoppix, I give the HomePNA card a different fixed IP address, but I still can't reach SLUG.
I try ping -I eth0 [or eth1] 192.168.0.170 (that's SLUG's IP address) and the address is unreachable. If I ping -I eth0 [or eth1] 192.168.0.107 (a computer on the Realtek card) I get replies if I use the right eth?, unreachable if I use the wrong one.
I didn't give all the details of what I did, but I hope I did all the right things. At best, ifconfig shows me eth0, eth1, and lo. One of the eth? (depending on what order Knoppix saw them on bootup) has an IP address from DHCP and thousands of RX and TX bytes. The other has the fixed IP address I gave it and zero RX and TX.
I figure either there's no driver for the HomePNA card, or I'm doing something wrong. Can somebody help? Please.
Similar Threads
-
By kbates666 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-11-2005, 05:47 AM
-
By 7d5 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-23-2004, 06:46 PM
-
By ERsKA in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-17-2004, 10:53 AM
-
By pace123 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-11-2004, 05:05 PM
-
By Floid in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-24-2003, 09:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00