-
Sorry, that's Knoppix v5.1.1. I must have got the other version number from something else.
SLUG is not on a conventional ethernet cable because it's too far away to easily string a cable. It's connected through the home telephone wiring. That's what HomePNA does. So I can't put SLUG on the router without an ethernet-phoneline bridge. Netgear and Linsys used to make such bridges but they're not longer available. Is that what I need to use phoneline in Linux?
I can't completely swap the cards because the Realtek card is not a HomePNA card. The AMD card has connectors for phone and ethernet cable but the Realtek only has an ethernet cable connector.
I did unplug the phone cord and move the ethernet cable from the Realtek card to the AMD card. Knoppix was able to access the router and everything beyond it through the AMD card. So the PCnet32 driver supports the AMD card at least as an ethernet interface.
I tried dmesg | grep eth in both configurations. In both cases the Realtek was identified as eth0 and the AMD card as eth1.
With the ethernet cable on eth0 and the phone cord on eth1 (normal configuration for Windows) it says "eth1: link down" and later "ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready" and then "eth1: link down" again (not recognizing the phoneline connection on eth1).
With the ethernet cable on eth1 and nothing on eth0 (configuration to test the AMD card) it says "eth0: link down" twice and "ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready" (because nothing is plugged into eth0).
Apparently the AMD card is not recognized as being connected to anything if it's connected to the phone wire. Maybe the PCnet32 driver supports the ethernet function but not the phoneline function. And the Windows XP driver with ndiswrapper doesn't work at all; eth1 is not just down, but nonexistent - am I doing something wrong in the ndiswrapper configuration?
I've seen web pages that say there are no HomePNA Linux drivers available. I also saw one that tells how to compile a HPNA2 driver. If I remember correctly, what I have is a HomePNA 1.0 1Mb/s adapter.
Similar Threads
-
By kbates666 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-11-2005, 05:47 AM
-
By 7d5 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-23-2004, 06:46 PM
-
By ERsKA in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-17-2004, 10:53 AM
-
By pace123 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-11-2004, 05:05 PM
-
By Floid in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-24-2003, 09:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99

Golf Challenge - Sierra On-Line - 1982 / Atari 400/800
$199.95

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit
$199.97

Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs
$149.97

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm
$48.95

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29