Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Remaster 5.1.1 size problem

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Remaster 5.1.1 size problem

    Dear all,

    I'm trying to remaster knoppix 5.1.1 by adding five lines in the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig script.

    I followed the document at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto and stopped before the "chroot" step.

    I do not want to change any software so I just edit the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig script and then save it.

    Then I just jump to the end of the document to rebuild the compressed KNOPPIX file and then build the ISO image.

    Everything went fine until I tried to burn the ISO image to cd. I found out that the final ISO file is more than 700MB.

    I expect the ISO file after remastering could be able to fit in one CD since I only added 5 lines of shell script code to the system.

    I think I might have missing something or 5.1.1 uses diffferent compression program or difference compression parameters so the final product is much better and can be fit into one 700MB CD.

    Anybody can help?

    Rgds,
    Chip

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    This is a forum topic to which I have seen no complete answer , http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...577&highlight= refers.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    9
    I had a similar problem. I"m not sure if I'll be able to help you, but this was my senario...

    When I ran the apt-get update, it downloaded a ton of crap that was included in my over-sized image. I removed the office portion of the update to shrink down my image. The command was:

    apt-get remove --purge openoffice.*
    apt-get clean

    Well I hope that helps...

    Brandon Pembo

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    16
    Here's one step that I did to cut the size of the finished ISO:

    remove the following: (keep them in .tar.gz so you can put them back to make further changes)

    /var/cache/apt
    /var/cache/debconf
    /var/cache/locate
    /var/lib/apt.lists
    /var/lib/dpkg

    saves a bit over 200 Meg

    of course you won't be able to update the running live CD with apt, but I needed a locked down image anyway.

    My remaster also does not use KDE, so I removed all of that for a big space savings, we set up fluxbox and a custom desktop, but you might want the more complete desktop KDE provides...

Similar Threads

  1. Size problem
    By vijirin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-23-2006, 08:39 PM
  2. Screen size problem. 4.0.2. with an i386 pc.
    By Meteora184 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2006, 05:01 PM
  3. New install Screen Size Problem
    By bwathen in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-29-2005, 12:53 PM
  4. Screen size problem
    By harken in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2005, 03:23 AM
  5. Possible 9-24 ISO size problem
    By bluegreenone in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 11:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72