Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Blank screen trying to boot on Averatec 6200 laptop.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2

    Blank screen trying to boot on Averatec 6200 laptop.

    I can't get Knoppix STD 0.1b to boot. I have tried all of the cheats related to the graphics card. Nothing seems to work. The screen flickers then goes black. Please help. I am trying to reset my admin password in XP. I have spent more time trying to get knoppix to work than I thought it would take to fix my problem. HELP!!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    1) Knoppix STD is not Knoppix, it's a different system derived from Knoppix.

    2) I believe the software that you are trying to use is quite old, might be too old to run on your hardware.

    3) Even if you believe that the newer versions of Knoppix can safely write to NTFS (I'm not convinced yet), that old distro will not be able to safely write to NTFS, so it will not be able to make any password change.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2
    As I am new to Knoppix, do you have any suggestions as to the best way to do this. My SysKey was reset accidentally and I need a way to change the admin password. I have been told to use Knoppix STD but it fails. Another suggestion was to use Knoppix 5.1. Are you suggesting that I don't use either? Or is there a better way to do this? Any help is appreciated. THX

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Knoppix STD can not write to NTFS partitions, will destroy the partition if you manage to get it to try.

    Some people think Knoppix can now safely write to NTFS. I'm not convinced and would not risk my data to test it. You are free to do believe whichever you wish.

    If I were in your case (although I can't imagine how that could happen), I would use Knoppix to recover what files I wanted from the system in question, then do a full reinstall of Windows (assuming you still want Windows). That way Knoppix only reads the disk, does not write it, which is safe. See the Rescue FAQ for details.

    While we know of Knoppix STD here, it is very old, apparently abandoned, and we really can't support it.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Averatec 3200 laptop & My own 2.6.9 kernel.
    By myjess in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 07:51 PM
  2. I can boot but screen goes blank on entering X Windows
    By patty34 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 08:44 AM
  3. Blank Boot Screen
    By kirupa in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 09:33 PM
  4. Blank screen on boot (the very beginning)
    By Frozen Fire in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-28-2003, 06:30 AM
  5. White screen of DEATH. (Laptop install) Averatec 3120
    By malic in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 01:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HPE Synergy 480 Gen10 Blade Server BAREBONES NO CPU, RAM OR HDD  🚚 picture

HPE Synergy 480 Gen10 Blade Server BAREBONES NO CPU, RAM OR HDD 🚚

$140.00



NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW picture

NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW

$599.40



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE T430 T630 G13 SERVERS K98XH picture

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE T430 T630 G13 SERVERS K98XH

$225.00



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis

$274.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH picture

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH

$225.00