-
Re: Wireless network with BT voyager 1055

Originally Posted by
chip.ling

Originally Posted by
quorlia
# ndiswrapper -i /media/hda2/drivers/btvr1055/bcmrndis.inf
So you already copied the .sys file in the /media/hda2/drivers/btvr1055 directory. Right?
Yes. The contents of this directory are as follows:
bcmrndis.inf
rndismp.sys
usb8023.sys
rndismpk.sys
usb8023k.sys

Originally Posted by
chip.ling

Originally Posted by
quorlia
# cp /media/hda2/drivers/btvr1055/*.sys /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmrndis
- for some reason it fails to copy the sys files. I found this out on another forum and copy them by hand
You should not need to do this. By the time you run
Code:
ndiswrapper -i bcmrndis.inf
The related .sys file specified in your bcmrndis.inf will be copied by the ndiswrapper. If it is not copied, something is wrong.
I realise that something is wrong! I don't know how to find out any more diagnostics. I can't locate the post in all my "millions" of bookmarks on the subject but I definately recall seeing a post that said the only problem the poster had had was copying these files.

Originally Posted by
chip.ling

Originally Posted by
quorlia
# ndiswrapper -l
bcmrndis: driver installed
device (XXXX:XXXX) present
- sorry, forgot to note down these numbers!
Looks like it wraps the driver already. Can you show us the exact output?
The numbers are 1690:0715.

Originally Posted by
chip.ling

Originally Posted by
quorlia
# depmod -a
- recommended by the ndiswrapper homepage
I don't need to do this, but it should not be harmful to run this.
Ok. As I said the ndiswrapper page suggests this. I thought maybe some module ndiswrapper needed might not have loaded otherwise.

Originally Posted by
chip.ling

Originally Posted by
quorlia
# modprobe ndiswrapper
And this is where I get stuck. The light remains resolutely off on the adaptor and dmesg | grep ndis only tells me that ndiswrapper has been loaded - nothing about loading the actual driver for the adaptor, so no wlan0 appears.
These are the exact same driver files it uses under XP - I copied them to my drivers/btvr1055 directory to make it easy to remember where they are located.
(PS I can't use KDE as I don't have enough RAM)
Here is what I got when I run "dmesg | grep ndis" from my machine
Code:
ndiswrapper version 1.32 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=yes)
ndiswrapper: driver oem0 (Broadcom,11/27/2004, 3.100.35.0) loaded
ndiswrapper: using IRQ 18
usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper: changing interface name from 'wlan0' to 'eth1'
Can you show us your output?
Code:
ndiswrapper version 1.32 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=yes)
usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
I've tried looking at the last 20 lines of dmesg too and there is nothing relevant (I can post the whole dmesg to you if you want..... 

Originally Posted by
chip.ling
PS. Using which x-window manager should not be a problem to setup the wireless hardware. I tried to run knoppix in console mode also can activate the wireless card (i.e. boot: knoppix 3)
Rgds,
Chip
I know that but I've had replies where the poster is using WM specific tools which I don't have available because I can't (or in the past won't) run that WM. I'm not a newbie - just a little out of date![/code]
Similar Threads
-
By Lex-Man in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-09-2006, 11:18 PM
-
By rpk073 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-14-2005, 12:09 PM
-
By MatDJ in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-13-2005, 04:34 PM
-
By largeagain in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-23-2005, 05:43 PM
-
By spreadthecream in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-31-2002, 12:25 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD
$100.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73