Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How to connect to internet with Knoppix

  1. #1

    How to connect to internet with Knoppix

    Hi there guys

    I've been using Ubuntu linux for about 9 months, and have learnt a fair bit about Linux, but I'm no expert so I apologise in advance if I appear to be asking dumb questions.

    Are there instructins anywhere for connecting to the internet with Knoppix? I've looked everywhere I can think of but can't find anything. When I used the Ubuntu live cd it automatically detected my internet connection and I was straight away on the internet so I never got around to learning about how it all worked. I somehow expected the same to be the case with Knoppix, but I think maybe not and I'm not sure whether it's not detecting my hardware or I've got to configure some software. I connect via a cable and Belkin router.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    You don't say, but what is the issue of Knoppix that you are using, and have you tried the network card configuration command under the Knoppix menu ?
    Try accepting DHCP mode first.
    If that doesn't work, look at the output of
    Code:
    ifconfig
    ; assuming that your network card has been configured as e.g. eth0 , then make a note of the IP Address that should have been allocated by the router, also the router gateway/nameserver address (or get them from your Ubuntu system - you should find this in the /etc/resolv.conf file). Then try the network configuration again, this time entering the data manually instead of accepting DHCP. NB DON'T use 255.255.255.255 for the broadcast, try X.Y.Z.255 where X.Y.Z. is your local subnet (likely to be something like 192.168.2. as in the case with my Belkin router).

    If it still doesn't work
    1] Search the forum - these issues have all been posted before
    2] Post the output of
    Code:
    ifconfig
    3] Install proper Debian instead [EDIT:] (that is, if you are referring to an installed system. Otherwise, Knoppix 5.1.1 is getting a bit old as live CDs go, and may not support very recent hardware)

  3. #3
    Hi

    Thanks for your reply.

    The version of Knoppix is 5.1.0, but that was the only one available where I downloaded it from-

    ://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/. The PC is an old one belonging to my son who's managed to mess up windows (still working on resolving that), hence trying to use Knoppix from the live CD.

    I looked in network card configuration command under the Knoppix menu and it told me there were no supported network cards found. However there must be as I've got the plugged into it.

    iconfig output:

    lo Link encap: Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:12 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets: 12 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overuns: 0 carrier:0
    collisions: 0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes 600: (600.0 b) TX bytes:600: (600.0 b)

    Re: '1] Search the forum - these issues have all been posted before' - As I said, I'm no expert with Linux, although I'm trying to learn. I spent ages searching the forums, but couldn't find anything I could understand that helped. I will try again but if you can point me in the way of a thread that'll give me the instructions I need in simple language I'd be very grateful. Thanks for your patience.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by pennywhistle 27 Aug
    ...I looked in network card configuration command under the Knoppix menu and it told me there were no supported network cards found. However there must be as I've got the plugged into it. ...
    "...no *supported* network cards ..." and your output from ifconfig indicates the same story. This will not be as easy as I hoped

    Quote Originally Posted by pennywhistle 25 Aug
    ...When I used the Ubuntu live cd it automatically detected my internet connection and I was straight away on the internet so I never got around to learning about how it all worked. I somehow expected the same to be the case with Knoppix, but I think maybe not and I'm not sure whether it's not detecting my hardware or I've got to configure some software...
    Quote Originally Posted by pennywhistle 27 Aug
    ...The PC is an old one belonging to my son who's managed to mess up windows (still working on resolving that), hence trying to use Knoppix from the live CD....
    Are you saying that this is actually the same PC on which you had successfully used Ubuntu ?

    If "yes", you may have a defective Knoppix CD copy and I can only suggest that you use the Ubuntu live CD to try to rescue the Windows (which with its added-on s/w can mess itself up without any help from the User ) but if it uses the NTFS file system I can't be encouraging - please see http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman

    If "no", you might try other Live CDs such as Damn Small Linux (good for older systems) or Sidux.
    But if that fails I would suspect a netcard hardware or supportability problem in that particular PC.

    FWIW these are some links to earlier postings, which may (only) be of some help once the netcard is recognised.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...346&highlight=
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...656&highlight=
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...867&highlight=
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...868&highlight=
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...965&highlight=
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...322&highlight=
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...332&highlight=

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 12:23 AM
  2. Connect wireless to Internet with Knoppix 5.1.1??
    By Canard blanc in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 04:24 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2006, 03:11 AM
  4. Knoppix 3.7 connect to Internet
    By phil66 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 05:45 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 10:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$236.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US picture

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US

$349.00