Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How I can boot Knoppix in console mode...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4

    How I can boot Knoppix in console mode...

    Hello Guys:
    I'm new in knoppix. I have installed knoppix in my Hard Disk but, I need to install a Nvidia driver. So, I want to start knoppix without kde, no graphic mode to I can install the driver.
    When knoppix run in live cd mode, is easy, I type knoppix 2, but when is installed, the grup or knoppix not permite me to do it.

    I need your help and excuse me my English because I'm a Latin User.
    Thanks for all.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    At the KDE log-in screen, select Console Login.
    Then log in as root and configure X driver as required.
    Logout, and after a few moments the KDE log-in screen should re-appear

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4
    Thank you JohnnyH, but I'm don't have a KDE log-in screen. The KDE start automatically, not permite me log-in, no password is required to start KDE.
    I turn on my computer, knoppix start and inmediatelly the desktop KDE appear.
    Knoppix not requests me a password to log-in to KDE.
    I don't know how to stop the KDE initialization.
    I wait for your answer and thank you again my friend...
    Bye...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by rioswill
    ...I turn on my computer, knoppix start and inmediatelly the desktop KDE appear.
    Knoppix not requests me a password to log-in to KDE....
    (Knoppix should not be like that - if you made a 'Debian' type installation (?) - and which type of Knoppix are you using ? )

    OK, you can get to a console by CTRL+ALT+F1

    When you have finished selecting your driver, log out and get back to KDE with CTRL+ALT+F7

    You have to re-start X for the new xorg.conf file to take effect.
    (You could kill X by CTRL+ALT+Backspace, then re-start, but it may be easier just to re-boot if you are not running a Server )

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4
    Exactly, I try that. I press CTRL+ALT+F1 and I get a console but the X-server (KDE) is run, so when I try to install the driver I get a message from console when I run "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run":
    "You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing"

    I'm using Knoppix 5.1.1 and I install it like "like live cd", not like debian installation or beginners.
    Can you tell me what kind of installation is the correct ?
    I try kill the proces with "ps -e | grep KDE","ps -e | grep Xorg","ps -e | grep Xserver" and then appy "kill + Number-Process" but the I get a same error when I run the installer from console.

    When I press CTRL+ALT+Backspace, the KDE environment start automatically.

    May be will be necessary re-install Knoppix like Debian installation.
    Thanks for you time.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by rioswill
    Exactly, I try that. I press CTRL+ALT+F1 and I get a console but the X-server (KDE) is run, so when I try to install the driver I get a message from console when I run "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run":
    "You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing"

    I'm using Knoppix 5.1.1 and I install it like "like live cd", not like debian installation or beginners.
    Can you tell me what kind of installation is the correct ?
    I try kill the proces with "ps -e | grep KDE","ps -e | grep Xorg","ps -e | grep Xserver" and then appy "kill + Number-Process" but the I get a same error when I run the installer from console.

    When I press CTRL+ALT+Backspace, the KDE environment start automatically.

    May be will be necessary re-install Knoppix like Debian installation.
    Thanks for you time.
    From inside your console window, type:

    sudo su
    init 2

    This should drop you down to runlevel 2 and stop the X-Server from running.

    After you are done mucking about in text mode, type:

    init 5

    to return to graphical runlevel 5

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4
    Thank you very much to JohnnyH and cbagger01 by your help. I'm happy really because there are people like you that are available to share your knowledge.
    The problem is resolved and I can get the console and kill the graphic mode to run my installer but, when I run the installer I get the follow message:

    "No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel"

    Now, I want to know what meaning that because I feeling very lost with that.
    I wait for your answer.
    Bye...

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by rioswill
    ..."No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel"...
    This seems to be telling you that you need the Knoppixx custom kernel header files - yes, examination of the script in the downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run confirms this.
    You need to install linux-headers-2.6.19_2.6.19-10.00.Custom_i386.deb first, which is provided with the 5.1.1 DVD (but not the CD).
    Nil desperandum ! ... if you send me your email address via a FORUM PRIVATE MESSAGE, I can email the package to you.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyH
    ...You need to install linux-headers-2.6.19_2.6.19-10.00.Custom_i386.deb first, which is provided with the 5.1.1 DVD (but not the CD)...
    OK there's a bit more I couldn't prove it with NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run as this doesn't support my TNT2 card, so I used NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7185-pkg1.run which is similar.

    The problem is that the NVIDIA installer is rather ".rpm - distro - centric" and does not give a helpful message for KNOPPIX systems. As the command is rather long, and it has to be run in a console, it was easiest to put it in a script which you could call e.g

    NV.sh

    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run --kernel-source-path /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.19
    then it is easy to
    Code:
    sh NV.sh
    in the console

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix 5.3 won't boot in default mode
    By Gemu in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 09:32 AM
  2. Older computer--CD boot works fine, HDD boot means console o
    By Particle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 03:25 PM
  3. Starting in Console Mode
    By mpeters13 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 12:45 PM
  4. How to Start in Console Mode
    By TheCyberDude in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 12:51 PM
  5. problems in console mode
    By oracleman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 09:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$165.58



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$166.24



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS picture

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS

$15.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95