-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Double 12
Congatulations! It seems you've tried a lot and have done a lot of work of work on it.
It's good to see that the file containing the KDE panel-settings is already automatically saved in the configuration archive (you just had to edit the file), because otherwise you would have to add the file manually to the config archive every time you make the archive.
Of course you can't write protect the disk containing the persistent image - it's needed all the time to save settings (for example the web page history when your web-surfing) and load saved setting files.
For me, all the writing is not a problem, I'm using an old 100 MB ZIP-drive that wouldn't be used if I didn't use it. Maybe the disks (actually big floppy disks!) are not made for this heavy use, but I don't mind, because I've got still some ZIP-disks that are not in use.
Maybe an USB-flash srive gets hurt, caused by the heavy use. But on the other hand, even on the *official* Knoppix sites, they speak about "making persistent home dir on USB-stick". So, others think it's not that bad, but of course you don't want the risk of a destroyed flash drive.
Yeah, I realize that, but I wanted to use the "persistent disk image" thing the same way as the configuration file. I just wanted to get Knoppix arranged the way I want it and then preserve it that way. Saving stuff like web page history is a big waste of time in almost any scenario I could imagine; you should have the option of allowing that if you want, but you should also have the ability to make it unwriteable. Or at least control when and what is written.
The persistent home directories on USB sticks are possible, and I had it set up that way on mine for a bit today. I got rid of it, though, because it really can damage it over time. During casual use, USB drives can last for many years before wearing out. Casual use being defined as maybe transferring a few movies, songs, office files, etc. from time to time. If you're using an operating system that is continually writing files to the same spot all the time, it can wear down individual sectors and cause bad ones to form much more quickly than would happen from normal use. I'd like to avoid that, and it seems that I could make any config changes I wanted by using the save config option.
Funny thing is I've realized that I've run into another problem. When I use the default copy of Knoppix, it detects my sound card and sets up my sound properly right away. It continues to work even after I've changed all my settings around to how I want them. When I save everything, reboot, and then load that config, it stops working. I tried a few approaches to it and they all yield errors. The "configure sound card" option in the Knoppix menu said something like "You don't seem to be running a kernel with modular sound enabled. (soundcore.o was not found in the module search path)". If I don't use the config, it works fine. Same error cropped up when I tried a persistent disk image. I'd appreciate some help with that if anyone's encountered it before.
Oh, and thanks for the help/support, Double.
Similar Threads
-
By fungi in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-25-2006, 07:31 PM
-
By gadgerama in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-08-2005, 10:03 AM
-
By politelyerased in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-15-2005, 11:56 PM
-
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-16-2004, 02:16 AM
-
By djenner in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$484.99

Dell PowerEdge R740xd Dual Intel Silver 4116 @2.1GHz 32GB HBA330 24Bay Server
$525.00

Windows Server 2025 Standard Edition - 24 Core License
$238.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R640 1U 8SFF Server Barebones 2x Gold 5120 64GB H330 2x 750w
$238.88

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$41.19