I'm not going to start a new thread, as I believe this problem is stemming directly from the subject at hand. It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem, either.
The current problem that I alluded to in my previous post is that after saving and reloading a configuration after a reboot, my sound no longer works. I have a sound card and onboard sound. I obviously want to use the card, and Knoppix recognizes and configures it properly on startup when not loading the config file. I've switched between loading the config/not loading it in an effort to understand what's causing this. The previous error I mentioned about "modular sound" seems to have nothing to do with this, as it's present whether I load the config or not. I'm not using aRts; when I go to "Sound System" under "Control Center", it's disabled even when the sound is working. I've tried everything from reloading/resetting/replacing/reconfiguring alsa to get it working again, but it won't.
Someone suggested to me that it might be a fairly common error where sound is only heard by root; I've tested it and that's not the case. I stripped my configs.tbz file (that houses all the configuration files that are extracted at boot) down to the absolute basics; there are only a few files in there pertaining to the layout of the kde panel/applets and their associated settings. There's absolutely nothing in there related to sound/audio that I can find, and the only difference that is visible between loading with a config and without one is the simple extraction of these files to their respective folders. It's baffling me how this could possibly mess up my sound. I use headphones because I have no speakers available, and it's plugged into the back of my computer (i.e. my sound card). I should note that the only significant difference I see is that when I load with my configs it tries to use my onboard sound, but uses my actual card when not loading configs. I've tried reloading my drivers/switching with alsaconf to no effect. It runs without a hitch, but still won't give me any sound.
The output from lspci concerning my sound card is:
I can provide any other specs that might help, but I doubt you even need to see my hardware.00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P4P800 Mainboard
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 21
I/O ports at e800 [size=256]
I/O ports at ee80 [size=64]
Memory at febff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
Memory at febff400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
03:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)
Subsystem: Creative Labs SB Audigy 2 ZS (SB0350)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17
I/O ports at de80 [size=64]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2


Reply With Quote










