Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Monitor Shutting off & "Can't find Knoppix filesyst

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1

    Monitor Shutting off & "Can't find Knoppix filesyst

    Hello all, first time poster.

    Okay so my problems all started yesterday when I made the decision that I'd dual boot Windows XP and Fedora on my single hard drive. Having limited experience working with partitions and even less experience working with Linux, I did a bit of googling until I felt safe. So I made the decision that I'd clean up my hard drive a bit before I booted up on the Fedora installation discs. Anyways, without thinking, I deleted the boot.ini file in C:\, figuring it belonged the the setup file that was also in C:\. So after I finished removing all the programs I needed to, and deleting temporary files, I rebooted my computer. That's when I came to the realization that I deleted a file necessary for Windows XP to boot. Anyways, I put it to the back of my mind and decided I'd fix it when I got Fedora installed. Unfortunately, the Fedora installer had trouble resizing my Windows XP partition, so I couldn't get Fedora installed.

    Now, I used Knoppix a couple of years back, when my Windows wasn't working and I needed to access my files. After googling(as always), I found out that I could edit partitions safely using Knoppix. I reburned Knoppix a few times, because I kept receiving the "Can't find Knoppix filesystem. Dropping into shell(etc)" error when it tried to access the CD. Finally, I got my hands on a spotless disc and downloaded Knoppix 5.1.1 iso CD. I burned it at 4x, just to be safe. When I attempted to boot off the CD, I used

    knoppix nodma

    It returned the same "Can't find Knoppix filesystem. Dropping into shell" error. Frustrated, I restarted the computer and just let it automatically boot after the timer. I was shocked when it succeeded and got all the way to the point where it's initializing the "X" graphic environment. Then the monitor turned off.

    So I googled again, and found that I might need to set the screen up correctly. And so I tried..

    knoppix screen=800x600

    I'm sure you realize how frustrated I was when once again, I received the "Can't find Knoppix filesystem." error.

    Any clues on what I can do to make this work?

    Edit: And I realize my little rant was lengthy. Bear with me. :P

    EDIT2: Attention! I managed to get it to work using:
    knoppix xscreen=800x600 xvrefresh=60 maxhsync=54 vga=normal

    Although it does seem to freeze a lot more than I remember

    (Believe it or not, another) EDIT: It seems to freeze after about 5 mins. It freezes when I highlight a submenu in the K tab. Anyways, each time it froze, I just rebooted, until suddenly, this pops up:

    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(1,3)

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    31
    -Test the med5sum of the cd against the one of your knoppix version (this is for corruption's problem in downloading and/or burner problems)

    -Try to test your ram.

    Good luck

    Max

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by kaspare
    -Test the med5sum of the cd against the one of your knoppix version (this is for corruption's problem in downloading and/or burner problems)
    Although there is a testcd option for booting, it can't check everything. A far better test is to check the md5 of the ISO file before burning against the provided md5 file, and then burn (at a low speed as the poster said he did) with a verify option to allow the burning software to double check that what it wrote matched the ISO.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaspare
    -Try to test your ram.
    This doesn't sound like the problem in this case, but it's always a good thing to check, easy to do and much better than finding out days later that you do indeed have a memory problem. One should add with this advice that if you just type in memtest at the Knoppix boot prompt, memtest86 will boot instead of the Linux kernel.

Similar Threads

  1. "Cant find Knoppix file system" error when bootin
    By sinncier in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2010, 07:08 PM
  2. "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry" - Acer Aspi
    By ngc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2008, 12:37 PM
  3. usb boot problem "cannot find knoppix file system"
    By samboon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 08:48 PM
  4. "Can't find Knoppix filesystem." ... "limited
    By lothario in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2005, 08:14 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 12:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower picture

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower

$16.99



Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H picture

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H

$104.98



Compressed Air Duster&Vacuum Cleaner, 2-In-1 130000RPM Cordless Air Blower picture

Compressed Air Duster&Vacuum Cleaner, 2-In-1 130000RPM Cordless Air Blower

$69.64



Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard picture

Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard

$17.99



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$107.67