metsn05

For what it's worth, there was really no mention of the file systems on the target drive's file system. Some of the error messages might indicate that it may be NTFS. I have seen numerous instances where an NTFS partition was probably corrupted by writing to it using Linux. Many people have claimed success, but I usually see the drives when they have become corrupted. Many were not hardware failures, but simply data corruption. The one common denominator in many was the fact that they were written to using Linux. The problem doesn't always show up right away either. It may take some time for it to become apparent.

The source drive (crashed unit) could also be corrupted and the files may not be easily accessed. Windows seems to do this on a regular basis on it's own. A few of the error messages may indicate this to be the problem. I'm not certain which drive they are referred to. If it is the external unit, then it may have some issues that need to be resolved. If it's NTFS, it's probably best to try Windows first to repair it.

It may well be that it's not the issue here, but it's worth mentioning. Knopppix 5.1.1 is "supposed" to be better at writing to an NTFS partition than it was in the past, but it may not be perfected yet. Even Windows will corrupt an NTFS drive on occasion. Many external drives appear to be more susceptable to being corrupted. I have had some issues when trying to use some of the current external Western Digital Drives with Linux. There appears to be a hardware/driver issue with some models. I can't speak for the Seagate, since I have not had any failures/issues with these drives yet. I would hesitate to use an NTFS volume for transferring files using Linux. FAT32 would probably be a better choice for compatibility.

Another option would be to transfer files over a network, or to use a live disk such as Bart PE or Windows PE if you have one available. The Bart PE disk can be made quite simply and can be equipped with many recovery tools and drivers to assist you. It would be a better choice if you wish to write to NTFS volumes.