Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: (SOLVED) error inserting '/cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/cloop.ko':

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2

    (SOLVED) error inserting '/cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/cloop.ko':

    I thought I would use Knoppix to boot my old Proliant DL380. The Knoppix (5.1.1) is able to boot an ordinary white box, but not the Proliant. The kernel loads and then very early in the hardware detection it returns the error:
    insmod: error inserting '/cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/cloop.ko': -
    The problem is very similar to this, only I can't see how it can be a problem with the disk when it can be used to boot other computers. Any clues?

    Thanks for reading.

    Regards

    Fog_Watch.

    PS. This beast usually needs a cpqarray module loaded. I don't know if that is an issue.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: insmod: error inserting '/cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/cloop.ko

    Quote Originally Posted by Fog_Watch
    I thought I would use Knoppix to boot my old Proliant DL380. The Knoppix (5.1.1) is able to boot an ordinary white box, but not the Proliant. The kernel loads and then very early in the hardware detection it returns the error:
    insmod: error inserting '/cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/cloop.ko': -
    The problem is very similar to this, but I don't want to accept the advice given in that thread or the downloading faq, or post what speed I burnt the disc at (leaving others only able to guess what the problem is). I don't want to accept that there can be small differences in different optical drives that might account for this and I refuse to see how it can be a problem with the disk when it can be used to boot other computers. Even though the disc clearly boots on one system and not another. Any clues?

    Thanks for reading.

    Regards

    Fog_Watch.

    PS. This beast usually needs a cpqarray module loaded. I don't know if that is an issue.
    I have no additional help to offer that you seem ready to accept.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Fog_Watch

    You may very well have found the problem and answer, but you seem to refuse to accept the solution. Many disks that are burned at higher speeds may simply not work well in ALL optical drives. This may be the issue you encountered, especially with older hardware. Higher burn speeds seem to create some drive compatibility issues. It is encountered quite often with Audio CDs that don't play well, or at all in some CD players, but play well in others. Burning the disc at a slow speed usually resolves the compatability issue. Like it or not, it's a common problem.

    Another issue could be that the drive/hardware is unable to work well with DMA acceleration or without it. The "knoppix nodma" cheatcode may help by disabling it, or "knoppix dma" to enable DMA acceleration. I'm not sure if 5.1.1 is enabled or disabled by default. You can try one or the other to see if that solves your problem.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ckamin
    refuse to accept the solution.
    I accept the possibility of writing speed being the cause of the problem. I, however, found a different solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by ckamin
    "knoppix nodma"
    This did not alter the error

    The solution was to use KNOPPIX_V4.0.2. This booted the machine fine. A small problem was it not having lvm v2, but I get this off a floppy (after modprobe dm_mod) to solve that problem. This solution did not surprise me as a Gentoo 2007 disk does not boot the machine but a 2006 does.

    Harry Kuhman and ckamin, thank you both for your replies.

    Regards
    Fog_Watch

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Fog_Watch
    The solution was to use KNOPPIX_V4.0.2. This booted the machine fine.
    In many ways I find 4.02 to be superior to any of the 5.x discs. But the fact that a different disc, even a 4.02 one, does boot just reinforces the belief that the failing disc was likely made at high speed and that another one burnt at slower speed would likely boot as well. Of course, there can be other differences such as media quality, but speed of burn is the most common issue that we see here.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1
    I experienced the same error while booting a Knoppix ISO within Virtualbox. The burning speed suggestion isn't very helpful on this issue now. Any ideas?

    Thanks for any help,
    falken

Similar Threads

  1. Problem with "error inserting '/modules/cloop.ko':"
    By flognat in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 06:57 PM
  2. FATAL: Error inserting cloop : Invalid argument
    By wsun013 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2006, 01:15 PM
  3. error inserting' /modules/cloop.ko' : -bad file number
    By syruice in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-08-2006, 03:19 PM
  4. error inserting '/modules/cloop.o': -1 Bad file number
    By Droide in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 04:11 PM
  5. Cloop modules Unresolved symbols [SOLVED].....
    By psirac in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 10:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot 4 Samsung 64gb PC4-25600 2Rx4 DDR4-3200AA ECC RDIMM Reg Server Memory RAM picture

Lot 4 Samsung 64gb PC4-25600 2Rx4 DDR4-3200AA ECC RDIMM Reg Server Memory RAM

$3199.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



RAM G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 F43200C16Q64GVK Matched picture

RAM G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 F43200C16Q64GVK Matched

$149.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16) picture

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)

$64.99



Lot of 8 Kingston 8GB DDR4-2666 Desktop RAM. Tested Good. May have minor nicks. picture

Lot of 8 Kingston 8GB DDR4-2666 Desktop RAM. Tested Good. May have minor nicks.

$200.00



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$155.19



16GB DDR3 RAM Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz PC3-14900 UDIMM Non-ECC 240-Pin Memory Upgrade picture

16GB DDR3 RAM Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz PC3-14900 UDIMM Non-ECC 240-Pin Memory Upgrade

$121.99



16GB DDR3L 1600MHz RAM Upgrade Kit (2x8GB) Non-ECC Unbuffered 240-Pin UDIMM picture

16GB DDR3L 1600MHz RAM Upgrade Kit (2x8GB) Non-ECC Unbuffered 240-Pin UDIMM

$75.99