Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: adding a software from the source code

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3

    adding a software from the source code

    Hello everybody

    I am a newbie here, and wanted to try to remaster some knoppix dvd, or cd i got.
    I read that you can add some deb packages to your baby , but how to add something that doesn't exist (or as an older version only) as a package?I have got the sources of course.
    Is it possible? difficult task?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    France
    Posts
    4
    Hello,
    I am not an expert but I think that you must build a package debian and install it in Knoppix.
    (build a package Debian is not a simple task for a newbie ...)
    Good luck

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    First of all, you don't need to make a Debian package and install it, at least not for all programs. I've downloaded source code, assembled and run it fine with Knoppix. It only required having a place to write the result (I had made a FAT partition on my disk so that I could write safely) and knowing how to assemble the program. Of course, not all programs will be assembled, some will be compiled. In my case I found the particular command line that I needed in comments right inside the source code itself. I would suggest looking there. If that isn't fruitful, I would look for help at the site that you downloaded the code from. someone likely documented what assembler or compiler the code is writen for, any command line switches needed, any required link libraries, and any other related information.

    Remastering Knoppix to include the programs is a whole different can of worms, but maybe all you need is a small flash drive to hold the execuitable programs that you want to run from Knoppix.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6
    I have done this for a few programs. Just compile from source as you normally would under a HD installation of Linux. Be careful where you put the executables, if in /home//knoppix I suppose they will only be available to user knoppix (and root), not to other users you might create. You do not need to remaster: make a persistent image (maybe you already have) and they will be availaable next time you boot. You can modify the kde menu to include them, too.

Similar Threads

  1. compiling source code
    By crazy_monkey108 in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-04-2006, 07:52 AM
  2. Source code for sysvinit
    By forsberg in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 10:47 AM
  3. Source Code?
    By ShadowAce in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 07:35 PM
  4. need source code
    By vynx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2003, 08:38 AM
  5. Source code despair......
    By VeeDubb in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 06:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


LOT OF 17/ Micron/Hynix/Sam/  16GB PC4- 3200 /2666V /2400/ DDR4 Laptop Memory picture

LOT OF 17/ Micron/Hynix/Sam/ 16GB PC4- 3200 /2666V /2400/ DDR4 Laptop Memory

$980.00



Samsung 32GB (1x32GB) PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133) LRDIMM Memory (M386A4G40DM0-CPB0Q) picture

Samsung 32GB (1x32GB) PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133) LRDIMM Memory (M386A4G40DM0-CPB0Q)

$120.00



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17 picture

2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17

$3.35



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Samsung 96GB LPCAMM2 PC5 9600 FE1 E1 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K6LC3CL1-CCV DDR5 Memory picture

Samsung 96GB LPCAMM2 PC5 9600 FE1 E1 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K6LC3CL1-CCV DDR5 Memory

$2150.00



Samsung (21x16GB) 336GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA, PC4-2666V Laptop Memory DDR4 picture

Samsung (21x16GB) 336GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA, PC4-2666V Laptop Memory DDR4

$1499.00



NMA1XXD128GPS Intel Optane 1X128GB DDR4 PC4-21300 DCPMM Persistent Server Memory picture

NMA1XXD128GPS Intel Optane 1X128GB DDR4 PC4-21300 DCPMM Persistent Server Memory

$75.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$234.00



Lot of 4 Micron 8GB PC2-5300F 2Rx4 MT36HTS1G72FY-667A1D4 ECC DDR2 or HTF picture

Lot of 4 Micron 8GB PC2-5300F 2Rx4 MT36HTS1G72FY-667A1D4 ECC DDR2 or HTF

$39.95