Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: adding a software from the source code

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3

    adding a software from the source code

    Hello everybody

    I am a newbie here, and wanted to try to remaster some knoppix dvd, or cd i got.
    I read that you can add some deb packages to your baby , but how to add something that doesn't exist (or as an older version only) as a package?I have got the sources of course.
    Is it possible? difficult task?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    France
    Posts
    4
    Hello,
    I am not an expert but I think that you must build a package debian and install it in Knoppix.
    (build a package Debian is not a simple task for a newbie ...)
    Good luck

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    First of all, you don't need to make a Debian package and install it, at least not for all programs. I've downloaded source code, assembled and run it fine with Knoppix. It only required having a place to write the result (I had made a FAT partition on my disk so that I could write safely) and knowing how to assemble the program. Of course, not all programs will be assembled, some will be compiled. In my case I found the particular command line that I needed in comments right inside the source code itself. I would suggest looking there. If that isn't fruitful, I would look for help at the site that you downloaded the code from. someone likely documented what assembler or compiler the code is writen for, any command line switches needed, any required link libraries, and any other related information.

    Remastering Knoppix to include the programs is a whole different can of worms, but maybe all you need is a small flash drive to hold the execuitable programs that you want to run from Knoppix.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6
    I have done this for a few programs. Just compile from source as you normally would under a HD installation of Linux. Be careful where you put the executables, if in /home//knoppix I suppose they will only be available to user knoppix (and root), not to other users you might create. You do not need to remaster: make a persistent image (maybe you already have) and they will be availaable next time you boot. You can modify the kde menu to include them, too.

Similar Threads

  1. compiling source code
    By crazy_monkey108 in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-04-2006, 07:52 AM
  2. Source code for sysvinit
    By forsberg in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 10:47 AM
  3. Source Code?
    By ShadowAce in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 07:35 PM
  4. need source code
    By vynx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2003, 08:38 AM
  5. Source code despair......
    By VeeDubb in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 06:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025

$22.00



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5in HDD, Low Power-On Hours picture

Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5in HDD, Low Power-On Hours

$49.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION* picture

Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION*

$319.79



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



NEW Sealed Toshiba N300 Pro 10TB NAS HDD 7200RPM picture

NEW Sealed Toshiba N300 Pro 10TB NAS HDD 7200RPM

$299.99