-
Trying to boot via cd, nothing happens
Hello folks!
I am in DESPERATE need of help here, hehe...
I have an old computer which is mad and I can't enter the system because it keept turning itself on and off, I am sure it is a virus.. so I decided to start Knoppix via a boot-cd instead..
when I choosed to start via this cd it came a sign about my memory and all as it should do, and then it came "Probing SCSI" and some file with the ending .ko
Then nothing happens.... I wonder why, and if somebody can help me? 
Kind regards, Kris, Sweden
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Trying to boot via cd, nothing happens

Originally Posted by
Itako
...when I choosed to start via this cd it came a sign about my memory and all as it should do, and then it came "Probing SCSI" and some file with the ending .ko
Then nothing happens....
Lots of things are not clear here. Do you actually get a Knoppix boot screen (and either type enter or wait 30 seconds to continue)? If so and then the Probing SCSI happens then it may be a Knoppix issue, but that is not what you indicated. If you're not getting to a Knoppix boot screen then ther I'm not clear where the Probing SCSI is coming from, but you could have any number of problems with the disc, from a bad download that doesn't pass the md5 test to an impropery burnt iso or even a burn done at high speed. See the downloading faq for details on that.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Re: Trying to boot via cd, nothing happens

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
Itako
...when I choosed to start via this cd it came a sign about my memory and all as it should do, and then it came "Probing SCSI" and some file with the ending .ko
Then nothing happens....
Lots of things are not clear here. Do you actually get a Knoppix boot screen (and either type enter or wait 30 seconds to continue)? If so and then the Probing SCSI happens then it may be a Knoppix issue, but that is not what you indicated. If you're not getting to a Knoppix boot screen then ther I'm not clear where the Probing SCSI is coming from, but you could have any number of problems with the disc, from a bad download that doesn't pass the md5 test to an impropery burnt iso or even a burn done at high speed. See the downloading faq for details on that.
Hi!
Thanks for your quick reply!
Actually, I got into Knoppix, and I pressed "enter" in order to get in there.. and then I see the little cutie (linux-logo) some text "welcome to KNOPPIX" and then I wait forever, all it says is probing and that... I've tried some cheat codes.. I guess I should try to burn the program again... with a lower speeed...
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Thanks for making what is happening more clear. Yes, if the disc was burnt at high speed it may well help to burn one properly. I would be sure to confirm the md5 checksum of the iso before I did that. Otherwise keep trying cheatcodes, including failsafe and expert mode.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
Thanks for making what is happening more clear. Yes, if the disc was burnt at high speed it may well help to burn one properly. I would be sure to confirm the md5 checksum of the iso before I did that. Otherwise keep trying cheatcodes, including failsafe and expert mode.
I re-burnt it but it's the same.. GRRR! It is SO annoying!
It just say: "PROBING SCSI ud7000.ko"... I don't understand WHY it doesn't go into the system.. it's just stuck...
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Did you confirm the md5 checksum of the iso?
You mentioned cheatcodes, but did you try the obvious noscsi code?
Did you try failsafe?
Try booting in expert mode. make notes about how you answer each question. When it hangs again, boot in expert mode again and change your last answer.
Just to be sure that memory is good, try typing memtest at the boot prompt instead of knoppix.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72