Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Knoppix works on this hardware, Debian and others don't.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7

    Knoppix works on this hardware, Debian and others don't.

    I have an older PC with a 1.3GHz AMD processor and 256MB of RAM. Knoppix LiveCD runs fine on this machine as well as a Knoppix HD install that I tried just today. Other distros, including Debian (Sarge and Etch) installs that I have done, will run for a few minutes and then the system hangs. I have 2 versions of KNoppix, 3.8 with has kernel 2.6.8 and 5.10 which has 2.6.19. Both work fine. I have tried adding noacpi to the boot options on other distros, such as Ubuntu liveCD without any luck. What is different about Knoppix?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    likely uou get overheated, look for fans and such running,.
    Also try the forum for the distro/s in question, they can be more help, specially the debian and ubuntu ones.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7

    Windows works on this PC also.

    I don't think it's overheating. All of the fans work fine. Most distros of linux don't work, neither liveCD's or hd installs, only knoppix does. Knoppix works both as a liveCD and with the hd install. Bart PE works on this PC for hours on end. If I had a windows hd install, I'm sure that would work also.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    weird, as Knoppix is merely a mix of Debian flavours with some scripts for hardwaresetup.
    any error messages?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7

    No error messages

    Haven't gotten any error messages, the system just hangs. I did run a log file in a window once on my install of Sarge. It's a common troubleshooting technique, but I don't remember the command anymore. Didn't get anything when the system hung anyway.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    hmm, have you checked the ram?
    linux has no tolerance for bad ram sometimes (depending what part is damaged, the tolerance can be much better than win in some instances).
    why knoppix works and not debian i have no idea, I would say that you need to configure something, could be anything from acpi to ram-handling in the kernel to wrong driver for some hardware.
    and are you certain that it is no heat problem?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7

    How to check the ram

    How would I check the RAM? Is there a way to test it? Swapping out the memory card isn't an option, as I have only one.

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Boot the Knoppix disc.

    At the prompt, type memtest.

    Google for memtest86 for more information on this software.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245

    Re: Knoppix works on this hardware, Debian and others don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by wagoner
    I have an older PC with a 1.3GHz AMD processor and 256MB of RAM. Knoppix LiveCD runs fine on this machine as well as a Knoppix HD install that I tried just today. Other distros, including Debian (Sarge and Etch) installs that I have done, will run for a few minutes and then the system hangs. I have 2 versions of KNoppix, 3.8 with has kernel 2.6.8 and 5.10 which has 2.6.19. Both work fine. I have tried adding noacpi to the boot options on other distros, such as Ubuntu liveCD without any luck. What is different about Knoppix?
    I've experienced a similar issue. This is why in my celerons 1.00Ghz I'm still running knoppix 3.4.
    In my case I've noticed that isn't something distro_related but kernel_related instead.
    Debian etch, most recent knoppix and other distros with 2.6 kernel hangs all.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2006, 04:03 AM
  2. adapt the knoppix hardware detection to debian sarge
    By drabo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 08:57 PM
  3. Knoppix - How it works? (Hardware Detection)
    By victorhooi in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 09:53 AM
  4. Knoppix Hardware Detection in Debian
    By rnatalli02101 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2004, 02:12 AM
  5. using knoppix hardware detection on debian
    By linuxenthusiast101 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 12:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



Promise Pegasus R6 Thunderbolt 2 RAID Storage 6Bay Enclosure G2U picture

Promise Pegasus R6 Thunderbolt 2 RAID Storage 6Bay Enclosure G2U

$129.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.26



Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN picture

Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN

$55.00



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$202.46