I'm running Knoppix 5.0 on an HP Vectra. Got a Sandisk Cruzer Micro USB Flash Drive (1.0 Gb) today, plugged it in, started Knoppix and it looks good. It's not initially mounted but I "mount /media/sda1", it looks like VFAT I think, I cd to it poke around, and find various files with sandisk in their names -- a lot of images, and software that came with the drive.
Now, I click on the Penguin, and select configure => Create a persistent Knoppix disk image.
I select /dev/sda1, and say "no encryption please", and it procedes to format the disk as an ext2 (I think) file system. OK, there goes the Sandisk software, no tragedy, but it says if I say "home=/dev/sda1" to the book prompt, all will be well.
But no, instead Knoppix no longer recognizes the Sandisk. This time when it comes up there IS no /media/sda1 or /dev/sda1, and I have no idea what to do.
I'd hoped to copy Knoppix onto the Flash drive (probably not quite that simple, or is it?) but I can't if Knoppix no longer knows the drive is there.
I hope someone has an idea what to do.
OOPS, now it's visable again. Maybe because I moved it to the 1st slot (think it was in the 2nd before, leaving 1st empty), maybe just because I removed iit and put it back in. Maybe because I did NOT say "home=/dev/sda1" Anyway, I could mount /media/sda1, and it contained reasonable looking things like knoppix.img I think. Also it said it was VFAT type (so much for my recollection that it said it was formatting it as ext2).
FWIW, during boot-up, at some point a sort of grey box appeared with various choices as to what should be done with /dev/sda1. It timed out and I suppose took the default action after a few seconds, so I can hardly tell you anything about it.
OOPS again, rebooted, having made NO physical changes, and once again, no /media/sda1. Shut down, removed the flash drive, switched machine back on and only THEN plugged in the flash drive (maybe sounds crazy but some procedure I ran across said to do something like that. AGAIN no /media/sda1.
Shut down, unplugged system, put flash drive back in, switched back on -- still no luck and no /media/sda1.
What the?? Any ideas??
Thanks, Hal

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$49.00
Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99
Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80
Samsung 850 PRO 512GB 2.5" SATA SSD MZ-7KE512 MZ7KE512
$65.00
Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00