-
Is live cd traceable
Hello,
I'm new to Knoppix, but I wonder if using Knoppix is traceable. For example, if s.o. has access to my computer and boots from a Knoppix live CD, he can access all my (Windows XP) data on my hdd and I have no chance to trace this or to notice that s.o. accessed my data because Knoppix doesn't write anything on its own on hdd. Is this correct?
That's quite frightening for me, if I'm right...
Daniel
-
Junior Member
registered user
That's unfortunately a very real risk. It's very easy to prevent, though 99% of the population doesn't bother to have proper security. When your computer is starting up, push whatever key it is that lets you change your BIOS settings. It's probably one of the function keys like F10 or in my case the Del key. I don't know the layout in your computer, but just navigate around in there until you see something about Boot Security or something that mentions adding a password. Like I said, I can't give you specifics because I don't know your comp's layout, but if you change the boot order so that the hard drive always boots first, then you add a password to the BIOS, no one will be able to use Knoppix on it without knowing your password. They could still theoretically steal your hard drive and use it in a different machine, but you would almost certainly notice if someone stole your hard drive for any length of time. The adding of a Setup password also prevents anyone from using the "Quick Boot" menu that lets you select a different device to boot from or whatever you want to call it by spamming F8.
Btw, does "s.o." stand for "someone"? I had no idea what you were talking about.
Similar Threads
-
By Béèm in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 09-29-2006, 07:42 AM
-
By alan4100 in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-02-2006, 12:16 AM
-
By fwheeler_1 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-13-2005, 05:58 PM
-
By bokaroseani in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-20-2005, 09:35 PM
-
By dhough in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-16-2004, 09:48 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Vintage Atari 1200 Zaxxon Computer software With box and manual
$75.00

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2
$70.00

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99

Atari 65XE Case, Metal Shielding, and Working Keyboard ONLY, No Motherboard
$50.00

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

Atari 130XE Restored NTSC SALT Tested with Box
$345.00