Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: HD Crash - Can't Mount Partitions and need HELP!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3

    HD Crash - Can't Mount Partitions and need HELP!

    I am running 5.1 from a bootable CD and am completely new to this. I have spent hours researching this website and have tried various suggestions. I am now desperate and decided to post. I greatly appreciate all help.

    I can no longer boot up windows XP Pro. I am getting the common disk read error. After booting up Knoppix, I have attempted to mount the hda1 partition unsuccessfully. A gpart -v /dev/hda1 provides the following information:

    dev(/dev/hda1) mss(512) chs(155055/16/63) #s(156295440) size(76316mb)
    Primary partition(1)
    type: 114(0x72)(UNKNOWN)
    size: 831050mb #s(1701990410) s(218129509-192011991
    chs: (368/111/45)-(371/101/51)d (216398/5/11)-(1904880/13/60)r
    hex: 63 6F 6D 70 72 65 73 73 65 64 00 0D 0A 50 72 65

    Primary partition(2)
    type: 116(0x74)(UNKNOWN)
    size: 265612mb #s(543974724) s(729050177-1273024900)
    chs: (67/115/32)-(299/114/44)d (723264/1/3)-(1262921/8/29)r
    hex: 73 73 20 43 74 72 6C 2B 41 6C 74 2B 44 65 6C 20

    Primary partition(3)
    type: 101(0x65)(Novell Netware 3.xx)
    size: 0mb #s(0) s(168653938-168653937)
    chs: (114/111/32)-(353/115/52)d (167315/6/41)-(167315/6/40)r
    hex: 74 6F 20 72 65 73 74 61 72 74 0D 0A 00 00 00 00

    Primary partition(4)
    type: 000(0x00)(unused)
    size: 25mb #s(51635) s(2692939776-2692991410)
    chs: (0/0/0)-(0/0/0)d (2671567/3/52)-(2671618/7/26)r
    hex: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 83 A0 B3 C9 00 00

    From reading other posts I saw the inconsistencies of the partition sectors not ending in 63. I executed sudo cfdisk /dev/hda. The results displayed one partition (hda1) with the following C,H,S - 9729,255,63. I honestly don't know where to go from here. My ultimate goal is to recover some files from my hard drive. Once again, thanks for your time and help.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    59
    The partition types listed for partitions 1 & 2 or not normal at all. Need more info.
    Do you have a third party program loaded into the MBR ? ie: boot/partition manager , (DDO) disk drive overlay, Nortons GoBack program or any similar program ?

    The start and stop adddress of partitions are also totally wrong.

    When you ran gpart , did you write the partiton data to the hdd ?
    Try to run TESTDISK , (on some Knoppix's cd's it will not run and gives an error doing loading).

    What was the last things you did in XP , leading to the problem ?
    Size of hdd ? Make/Model of comp ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the quick response!

    I have an 80GB western digital HD. I do not have any 3rd party programs loaded. I did not partition the drive and did a standard XP Pro install. My confusion starts with the gpart information. I don't understand the information provided on partition 1 and 2. When doing a sudo cfsidk /dev/hda, it lists only partition 1 and 80GB. Don't know if this helps you any?

    I did not do a gpart -w since the information seemed incorrect from the gpart -v. When running testdisk, I get the following error:
    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ testdisk
    testdisk: error while loading shared libraries: libntfs.so.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

    The problem started when I had an unsuccessful bootup in XP. After shutdown, when I re-started I began receiving the disk read error message. I used the windows XP CD with the attempt of recovery. The only suggestion from windows was to re-format the partition. I have a Dell Dimension 8250 desktop.

    I have a question:
    When doing any commands like mount, gpart or fdisk,... should I execute against /dev/hda or /dev/hda1? When executing against /dev/hda, I get a permission denied error. The gpart information in my first post was executed against /dev/hda1. The sudo cfdisk command was successful against /dev/hda. Sorry for the very ignorant question but I'm trying to learn this.

    My desktop in Knoppix displays hda1 only. When attempting to mount, I get errors. Thanks again for your help. I greatly appreciate it!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3
    Here is more information and may be more helpful:

    I executed su and then did a gpart /dev/hda. Here are the results:

    root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# gpart /dev/hda

    Begin scan...
    Possible partition(Windows NT/W2K FS), size(76316mb), offset(0mb)

    * Warning: short read near sector(156301299), 64512 bytes instead of 66048. Skip
    ping...
    End scan.

    Checking partitions...
    Partition(OS/2 HPFS, NTFS, QNX or Advanced UNIX): primary
    Ok.

    Guessed primary partition table:
    Primary partition(1)
    type: 007(0x07)(OS/2 HPFS, NTFS, QNX or Advanced UNIX)
    size: 76316mb #s(156296320) s(63-156296382)
    chs: (0/1/1)-(1023/15/63)d (0/1/1)-(155055/14/61)r

    Primary partition(2)
    type: 000(0x00)(unused)
    size: 0mb #s(0) s(0-0)
    chs: (0/0/0)-(0/0/0)d (0/0/0)-(0/0/0)r

    Primary partition(3)
    type: 000(0x00)(unused)
    size: 0mb #s(0) s(0-0)
    chs: (0/0/0)-(0/0/0)d (0/0/0)-(0/0/0)r

    Primary partition(4)
    type: 000(0x00)(unused)
    size: 0mb #s(0) s(0-0)
    chs: (0/0/0)-(0/0/0)d (0/0/0)-(0/0/0)r

    Does the gpart information look good enough to do a gpart -w?
    Thanks

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    59
    You would run fdisk, cdisk, gpart on the hard disk drive (hda) , but for mount would be for the partition (hda1).

    Just to let you know, I have limited usage with linux and have never use gpart.

    What info did cdisk or fdisk give ?

    The output from gpart does look ok. Not sure about the sector ending with 63 when XP partitions the drive, it will leave some unpartitioned space at end of disk for some reason (from what I have read ).

    If you have a MS XP cd you should get into the recovery console and run 'chkdsk'.
    At this time you do NOT what it to fix any errors.
    If chkdsk reports no error run chkdsk -p for more indepth check.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

    If chkdsk reports only a couple of errors go ahead and run chkdsk -r , to repair. If there are may errors chkdsk -r will likey make a total mess, could be the partition info is wrong.

    You can get a DOS version of testdisk. Do not know if gpart will correct errors in the VBR (volume boot record) but testdisk will if the option is selected.

Similar Threads

  1. Partitions don't mount!
    By Briana83 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 10:59 PM
  2. cannot mount partitions??
    By redhawk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2006, 12:35 PM
  3. partitions don't mount
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 02:03 PM
  4. Can't mount any HDD partitions
    By sb73542 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 01:32 AM
  5. Mount all partitions
    By henrique in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 12:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive

$349.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$58.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033

$125.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95