-
Thanks for the quick response!
I have an 80GB western digital HD. I do not have any 3rd party programs loaded. I did not partition the drive and did a standard XP Pro install. My confusion starts with the gpart information. I don't understand the information provided on partition 1 and 2. When doing a sudo cfsidk /dev/hda, it lists only partition 1 and 80GB. Don't know if this helps you any?
I did not do a gpart -w since the information seemed incorrect from the gpart -v. When running testdisk, I get the following error:
knoppix@Knoppix:~$ testdisk
testdisk: error while loading shared libraries: libntfs.so.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
The problem started when I had an unsuccessful bootup in XP. After shutdown, when I re-started I began receiving the disk read error message. I used the windows XP CD with the attempt of recovery. The only suggestion from windows was to re-format the partition. I have a Dell Dimension 8250 desktop.
I have a question:
When doing any commands like mount, gpart or fdisk,... should I execute against /dev/hda or /dev/hda1? When executing against /dev/hda, I get a permission denied error. The gpart information in my first post was executed against /dev/hda1. The sudo cfdisk command was successful against /dev/hda. Sorry for the very ignorant question but I'm trying to learn this.
My desktop in Knoppix displays hda1 only. When attempting to mount, I get errors. Thanks again for your help. I greatly appreciate it!
Similar Threads
-
By Briana83 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-11-2007, 10:59 PM
-
By redhawk in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-20-2006, 12:35 PM
-
By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-24-2004, 02:03 PM
-
By sb73542 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-13-2004, 01:32 AM
-
By henrique in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-24-2003, 12:05 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed
$42.00