Hi,
I am willing to install knoppix on hard disk, booting the machine from a USB drive in the first place. I could take an .iso knoppix file, put it on the USB drive, boot from that, run knoppix-installer and have everything neatly installed on /dev/hda1. The system won't boot by itself, though, so I use grub to force a linux loader onto the hard disk's mbr. I configure it to boot on the /boot kernel image and initrd that have been put there (on the hard disk).
Now, problems start on reboot, as the system gets confused over its filesystem. I typically hit a "mount: fs type devfs not supported by kernel; umount devfs not mounted; pivot_root: no such file or directory".
Is there a reason why substituting an USB drive for a CD would drive me to all this mess?
If that should be important, let me add that I use the clusterKNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN-cl1.iso iso file, as my goal is to install clusterknoppix on diskless nodes (but with a USB entry on which I can boot).
Any help greatly appreciated.
Best,
Fabrice.

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99
HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy
$35.00
HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00
Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99
HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00
Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99
New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59
WD Purple Pro 10TB Surveillance Internal Hard Drive 3.5" SATA WD102PURP -
$270.00