Hi,
I am willing to install knoppix on hard disk, booting the machine from a USB drive in the first place. I could take an .iso knoppix file, put it on the USB drive, boot from that, run knoppix-installer and have everything neatly installed on /dev/hda1. The system won't boot by itself, though, so I use grub to force a linux loader onto the hard disk's mbr. I configure it to boot on the /boot kernel image and initrd that have been put there (on the hard disk).
Now, problems start on reboot, as the system gets confused over its filesystem. I typically hit a "mount: fs type devfs not supported by kernel; umount devfs not mounted; pivot_root: no such file or directory".
Is there a reason why substituting an USB drive for a CD would drive me to all this mess?
If that should be important, let me add that I use the clusterKNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN-cl1.iso iso file, as my goal is to install clusterknoppix on diskless nodes (but with a USB entry on which I can boot).
Any help greatly appreciated.
Best,
Fabrice.

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54
DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00
Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00
$279.00