hmm, i have a pci128 and that works well with my knoppix5.1, hmm, hae you checked the disk? it might be a marginal burn that has damaged modulefile.
Hi,
On Knoppix CD 3.81 the Creative Labs PCI128 (detected as Creative Labs Ectiva EV1938) works flawlessly. However on the DVD 5.1 version I recently downloaded sound does not work. When I go to sound configuraton it also says that soundcore.o can't be found.
I did a search on the forums for Ectiva and EV1938 but couldn't find anything relevant.
Anyone offer any hints?
Thanks
hmm, i have a pci128 and that works well with my knoppix5.1, hmm, hae you checked the disk? it might be a marginal burn that has damaged modulefile.
Do you have onboard sound as well? I recently had this problem in relation to another problem explored in a different thread. If you do have onboard sound, try going to your BIOS settings and disabling it completely. I can't tell you where exactly the setting is, but you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it; the setting should be located in plain sight somewhere.
Thanks for your suggestions. The DVD has been burnt properly (as tested with md5sum and dd) and the onboard sound has been disabled.
The problem is still unsolved.
To those with a working soundcard using the Knoppix DVD copy please run sndconfig and see if it comes up the same soundcore.o missing error. To do that click on the penguin icon (bottom left corner next to the K icon) | Configure | Sound Card Configuration and tell me if you come up with the same error message.
Thanks
Yeah, I had that same error and disabling onboard sound fixed it for whatever reason. Its behavior was actually a bit more weird than I care to go into here, but it worked. Actually, as I type this right now in Knoppix, my sound is working, but if I go to "sound card configuration" it still complains of a missing soundcore.o. Try opening a terminal and typing "alsaconf", then following the instructions. Be sure to select the appropriate sound card, of course.
Alsaconf doesn't change anything. Knoppix does detect the modem properly according to the startup screen but no sound comes out.

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49
Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99
Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54
LENOVO THINKSTATION P920 XEON GOLD 6128 3.4GHz 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$1550.00