Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Can't find KNOPPIX File System

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2

    Can't find KNOPPIX File System

    Hi all, I am new to Knoppix. I have tried this CD before on another system and it worked. But now on this new system (i am trying to resize Windows partition) I get the following messages

    I am using the KNOPPIX CD v 5.1 and during boot up it is
    Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done.

    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem. sorry
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
    Press restart button to quit


    I am using a USB Keyboard (only option available) for this system.

    what can I do to boot up into KNOPPIX?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Can't find KNOPPIX File System

    Quote Originally Posted by gurustered
    ....I have tried this CD before on another system and it worked. But......
    Your problem is one very often associated with a marginal high speed burn. The first thing that I would advise based on this limited information would be go back and try a CD that was burnt at low speed.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2

    Thanks

    I have burned the CD (different downloads) as low as 12x, and I still am getting the same error.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2

    Re: Can't find KNOPPIX File System

    I'm having the same problem, with a cd burnt at 4x! On another computer the cd worked really fine!

    When I tried another distribution, an other error message was shown at startup: failed to mount cd-rom...

    Is this possibly just a problem with my dvd-drive? Can anyone please help me?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    IMHO could be a 'cd-drive_related_issue' but even a 'cpu_related_issue'.
    With regard a this last assumption consider that I work with 10 pcs with the same hardware. It was happened that 2 of this pcs have had a motherboard crash after 3 years from buyng. So I've replaced the old motherboard with a brand new one, most recent and more powerful with a more powerful cpu, while the cd-drive have remained the same. So I've discovered that some linux-live-cds (not knoppix) and even install-cd (slackware) doesn't load on old pcs with old motherboard (with errors messages in loading stage and even not recognized as boot device at all) but load painlessly on new motherboards with the same old cd-drives!!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2
    Well, actually my computer is brandnew!

    I've also tried the 'nodma' option and all that (there are a lot of similar discussion out there!) but that doesn't work for me...

Similar Threads

  1. Can't Find Knoppix File System
    By crism in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 06:46 PM
  2. Knoppix cannot find file system
    By snippy in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 02:49 PM
  3. Can't find KNOPPIX file system
    By Spool32 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 08:26 PM
  4. Can't Find KNOPPIX File System..
    By MR.Error in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 06:58 AM
  5. Knoppix cant find file system
    By Neo855 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 03:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



Toshiba 1TB 2.5

Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA HDD MQ01ABD100V 5400RPM 9.5mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive

$51.99