Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 5.1.1 HP Pavillion dv5000 Laptop - Hangs on boot! Help!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4

    5.1.1 HP Pavillion dv5000 Laptop - Hangs on boot! Help!

    I'm trying to boot Knoppix 5.1.1 on a HP Pavillion dv5000 laptop, and after I press Enter at the main Knoppix boot screen, I get
    Loading Linux .................................................. ................
    Loading minitrg.gz (I think that's what it says, it's not displayed long) ...........................................

    And then the screen goes blank and just sits there, nothing happens.

    I just burned this Knoppix CD on another laptop, my Dell Inspiron E1705 and the CD boots just fine. But I can't get the CD to boot on the computer I need it for!

    Are there any known issues or workarounds for this? I am in desperate need, as this is for a recovery mission!

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Try some cheat codes: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes. For example knoppix nodma noacpi.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4
    I tried pretty much all of the no- cheatcodes, and even tried failsafe.

    I get "CRC Error. System halted."

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    It's looking more like a burn issue, or possibly a CD/DVD drive quirk. I would try burning again, possibly on different brand media or a different burner. If you don't want to end up with two Knoppix, maybe try a different live CD like SIDUX or HELIX.

    http://sidux.com/

    http://www.e-fense.com/helix/

    HTH

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4
    I'll try burning again, but like I said I was able to get Knoppix to run just fine on my computer, the one I burned it with. That tells me the burn was good.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by furinto
    ..... run just fine on my computer, the one I burned it with. That tells me the burn was good.
    No it doesn't, particularly if you are burning at high speed. It is very important to do the burn at low speed. 4x recommended, no higher than 8x.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4
    I just tried burning the disc again, this time at 4x speed. Still not working.

    I am downloading a Helix ISO now to try that.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 02:59 PM
  2. Knoppix 4.0.2 hangs at cardmgr on (new) Toshiba Laptop M60
    By vikingasia in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2006, 07:09 AM
  3. Laptop hangs after bootup page-KNOPPIX_V4.0.2DVD
    By crkscorpio in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2006, 05:29 PM
  4. hp dv5000 series laptop using amd turion
    By rohitjava in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-13-2006, 12:44 AM
  5. hangs on autoconfiguration on laptop
    By Shivam in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 06:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99



Lot of 10  Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage UNCLAIMED picture

Lot of 10 Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage UNCLAIMED

$22000.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco QSFP-100G-SR4-S QSFP 100Gbps Transceiver Module 1-Port 1 Module picture

Cisco QSFP-100G-SR4-S QSFP 100Gbps Transceiver Module 1-Port 1 Module

$300.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New

$399.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99