-
Iceweasel is slow..... Solved
After using knoppix4.0 for years, I bought a new laptop and installed knoppix.5.1.1. Everything is fine except for a few minor problems.
1) Iceweasel is slow(painfully slow)
a) Konquer works fine and is fast.
b) iceweasel is faster using an old linksys router
c) I read that ipv6 is the cause of this but dont know how to turn it off (cant find the modprobe.conf file)
setup
1) Dell 700m
2) 1gig ram
3) dlink DIR655 router set to DHCP
4) brodcom nic set to DHCP on dell
-
update
I have done some testing and results are as follows
Iceweasel works very slowly after booting up but the stops entirely. I figured it is based on forefox so I checked the about:config networking section and compared it to my windows. (viitually the same file) so I eliminated that as a possibitity. then I installed firefox.
Firefox works the same as iceweasel. almost not at all..
I dont understand what the difference is between konqueror and firefox. Can someone tell me how theese two connect to the internet differently? understanding this may help me solve my problem.
Thanks for the help
-
Almost there
Ok... I have done some more testing and I think I have found significant information.
I can get a page to load in firefox or iceweasel but only if I get a connection with konquer first. ( It dosent matter what website I load. ) just establishing a connection to the internet makes firefox work for a couple of minutes. Somthing is timing out but I don't know what.
I have also disabled the firewall on the D-link, but that dosent help. I have also tried to connect to a linksys router (wrt54g) and It works flawlessly. Can someone give me some ideas to try?
Thanks
pboodi
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Iceweasel is slow

Originally Posted by
pboodi
After using knoppix4.0 for years, I bought a new laptop and installed knoppix.5.1.1.
That interesting. I've never seen a problem with Iceweasel slowing down. And I don't install Knoppix, I run it from the CD. Do you think these two issues could be related?
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
>>>>>That interesting. I've never seen a problem with Iceweasel slowing down. And I don't install Knoppix, I run it >>>>>from the CD. Do you think these two issues could be related?
Quite possibly, I know that the harddrive install breaks a lot of stuff. I should clairfy, that iceweasel and firefox actually stop responding until I use knoqurer again. Then it starts working again but only for a short while. And it dosent happen with the linksys router only the D-Link.
Thanks
pboodi
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Well, it might be something strange about the router, as you keep coming back to that. It could be some IPv4 vs. IPv6 issue. But it sure could be the "install". I would suggest running from the CD for a while, and if it doesn't happen it's likely the install. If it does happen from the CD then trouble shoot it from the CD without getting the "install" involved.
-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
Well, it might be something strange about the router, as you keep coming back to that. It could be some IPv4 vs. IPv6 issue. But it sure could be the "install". I would suggest running from the CD for a while, and if it doesn't happen it's likely the install. If it does happen from the CD then trouble shoot it from the CD without getting the "install" involved.
Thanks for your imput. based on your suggestion I checked while running from the cd. I get the same results, so it is the router. This is a new and expensive router. It has "N" capability. And the "N" feature is currently disabled until I find the problem. How would I check a ipv4 vs ipv6 conflict?
thanks
pboodi
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
pboodi
.... How would I check a ipv4 vs ipv6 conflict?
i
I have no direct eperience with IPv6 (my ISP does not seem to offer any IPv6 service yet). There have been some reports here of some strange problems that have turned out to be IPv6 based, although none of it quite matches what you are reporting. There is a setting somewhere in Firefox/IceW. that lets you turn IPv6 support off. I would suggest sticking with the Live CD, finding that setting and disabling IPv6 and see if that makes the problem go away.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
update
After some extensive testing< I have found out the problem is specifically related to the dlink DIR655 router.
For clairifacation: Konquer will access the internet anytime. however iceweasel and firefox will only access for a short time only. And only after loading the page in konquer.
Any help or suggestions on this problem with this router would be apriciated
setup
1) Dell 700m
2) 1gig ram
3) dlink DIR655 router set to DHCP
4) brodcom nic set to DHCP on dell
5) knoppix 5.1
thanks
pboodi
-
solved
ok the reason that it only happens only with the Dlink is that it is the only router I have that supports Ipv6.
The Fix is to disable ipv6 in firefox. Aparently many more people have been having this problem.
type about:config in firefox
type ipv6 in the find box
change the disable ipv6 line to true
restart firefox
I assume the same fix will apply to Iceweasel
Similar Threads
-
By bythesea in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-28-2008, 04:35 AM
-
By dahveed3 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-07-2008, 07:47 PM
-
By Trailblazer in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-29-2008, 07:17 PM
-
By ihawk60 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-30-2007, 02:43 PM
-
By yozef in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-11-2006, 04:05 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage 2006 Juicy Couture House of Juicy Velour Laptop Sleeve Y2K NWT Rare
$199.99

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99

Huge Lot of Vintage Computer Brochures, Catalogs, etc. - 1980's - SEE PICS
$100.00

5x Vintage Intel D8212 S1002 IC Chips 1975 Hong Kong P0153 P0982
$99.99

Vintage Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500JB 250GB 7200RPM 3.5" IDE HD - Tested
$24.99

Vintage Fujitsu Scrap Board with 4 CPU's for Gold Recovery
$89.95

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$139.98