As flash is not open source, it is not included with most(?) Linux CDs. So you need the latest version of the flash web browser.
Is there a special way to watch youtube videos with the Linux web browsers?
I have tried a few from the Knoppix 5 dvd and I always get an error message about make sure javascript is turned on and get the new flash version.
should these work automatically or do I need the latest flash?
As flash is not open source, it is not included with most(?) Linux CDs. So you need the latest version of the flash web browser.
can I download a flash plug-in and install it?
If so, which browser on the Knoppix DVD works? Is there a browser on the DVD that does not require the flash plugin to view youtube video?

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99
Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99
1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00
Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor
$70.00
Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99
Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable
$75.00
Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06
Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00
Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card
$26.21
NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance
$29.99