Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Dual NICs (wired)

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    Dual NICs (wired)

    OK, I teach Computer Science at a school where the tech dept decided to put my linux classes on a separate network. So, in their infinte wisdom, they added a 2nd Network Interface Card (NIC) to each of my linux boxes (25 student stations + 1 teacher station with a projector). What's nice about this is that the new NICs are GigaBit, what's not nice is that they are going to be able to block access to other parts of the school network (b/c I have infamous hackers in my class this year).

    Anyway, the problems I'm having are:
    (1) how do I know which NIC is being used?
    (2) how do I disable one NIC and enable another NIC when necessary?
    (3) is there a configuration file where the settings from netcardconfig are saved that I can simply delete and start over?
    (4) if I use netcardconfig w/o DHCP can I use any IP I feel like (I know the netmask, braodcast, default gateway and dns)?

    You see, I used netcardconfig to configure eth0 as usual, but apparently, its eth1 that I should have configured as the new NIC. So, now when I run ifconfig, both NICs come up + localhost, but I don't know which is being used as default.

    TIA,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245

    Re: Dual NICs (wired)

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Anyway, the problems I'm having are:
    (1) how do I know which NIC is being used?
    (2) how do I disable one NIC and enable another NIC when necessary?
    (3) is there a configuration file where the settings from netcardconfig are saved that I can simply delete and start over?
    (4) if I use netcardconfig w/o DHCP can I use any IP I feel like (I know the netmask, braodcast, default gateway and dns)?
    (1) maybe via 'ifconfig'?
    (2) see answer 3 :-p
    (3) see answer 4 :-p :-p
    (4) the file you are looking for is (should be) '/etc/network/interfaces'
    Here's mine with a 192.168.0.14 static address:
    Code:
    # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file
    # The loopback interface
    # automatically added when upgrading
    auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback
    
    iface eth0 inet static
    	address 192.168.0.14
    	netmask 255.255.255.0
    	network 192.168.0.0
    	broadcast 192.168.0.255
    	gateway 192.168.0.1
    The 'iface eth...' section is which that matters.
    Edit the file and then issue 'update-rc.d networking defaults' to keep it persistent at every reboot.
    HTH!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Oh, thank God! Finally, the file I needed! I knew there was a config like that somewhere, I just needed someone to kickstart my memory.

    Thanx, you're a God send!

    Regards,
    AJG

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, so my /etc/network/interfaces file only has
    Code:
    auto lo eth1
    iface lo ...
    iface eth1 ...
    ...
    ...
    ...
    ...
    ...
    And all is well!

    Thanx,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. trouble with multiple NICs
    By sknuky in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2006, 06:36 PM
  2. wired nic's, on CD, where's the net ?
    By honegod in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-13-2005, 02:50 PM
  3. knoppix with 3 nics
    By ghostblaze in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 11:09 PM
  4. List of supported NICs?
    By CodeOptimist in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 11:25 PM
  5. NICs and daemons
    By gkp in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-10-2003, 07:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Lot 300 Micron 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-21300 DDR4-2666V ECC Registered Server Memory RAM picture

Lot 300 Micron 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-21300 DDR4-2666V ECC Registered Server Memory RAM

$9000.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$254.97