Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: disk check utility?

  1. #1

    disk check utility?

    I only have basic red hat training and haven't ever used Linux at home ever :P but I think it's awfully cool I'm just lazy lol. Anyway, is there's a utility in the Knoppix distribution that will scan a disk for corrupted files and fix it? The catch is, it's an NTFS drive (or maybe FAT32, I didn't actually check but probably NTFS) The drive is soooo completely thrashed that it blue screens the computer every time it tries to boot (windows XP Pro) and I took it out and used an enclosure on my XP PC and it can't read a single file off it. But tada, Linux can so I got most of the data off it by going back and forth with my USB drive. Anyway I wanna make it boot now and I have a feeling it will if the corruption can be fixed so that brings me back to my question: is there a utility that can do that that comes with Knoppix?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    The answer to your question is no.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    someone should make one lol

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Feel free to do so.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    You say that you recovered the data with Linux even though Windows couldn't read the drive. I suggest that the proper next step isn't to try to repair the NTFS partition at all, but rather to remove it entirely and then repartition the drive. Linux can indeed remove the NTFS partition, but it can't create a new one. Windows can delete the bad NTFS partition and also create a new one, so Linux really isn't needed past the data recovery at all (at least if you want to reinstall Windows with another NTFS partition and go through this again later).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #6
    well here's the catch. It's gotta get to booting as is because I don't have an XP Pro reinstall CD (gotta be specific to this comp cuz it's an HP one btw) to do a repair install or fresh install. I shouldn't say I don't have it, it's more like the guy who I'm fixing it for doesn't have it and he's being a dick about looking for it. Anyway yeah, that's what's up

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    it's more like the guy who I'm fixing it for doesn't have it and he's being a dick about looking for it
    I would download Ubuntu or CentOS or some other linux distro and install it to his drive and give it back to him. No more bluescreen. TADA!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 05:03 AM
  2. Tools or utility for scanning disk
    By khwong2004 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 04:13 PM
  3. disk check after 136 years?
    By colin stewart in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 04:24 AM
  4. Disk check gives root access!
    By trees in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 08:48 PM
  5. Recommendation for a Disk wipe utility!
    By freeballer in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD. picture

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.

$629.99



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$200.00



IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested picture

IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested

$499.99



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



Ibm Computer Tower picture

Ibm Computer Tower

$400.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99