Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: wireless cardbus BCM43xx does not work

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12

    wireless cardbus BCM43xx does not work

    I booted my notebook with the latest KNOPPIX CD (5.1.1). My wireless cardbus adapter is Linksys WPC54G V3.

    The iwconfig shows that my wireless is at eth0. The lsmod shows that the module bcm43xx are loaded.

    However, when I do "iwconfig eth0 essid xxxxx channel n". I got the following error:

    Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) : SET failed on device eth0 ; Operation not permitted.
    Then I think this module is not good. I should unloaded it and use ndiswrapper with Windows driver. When I use "modprobe -r bcm43xx", I got the following error:

    FATAL: Error removing bcm43xx (/lib/modules/2.6.19/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx.ko): Operation not permitted
    Ok, I am not permitted to do anything.

    By the way, I had to use "boot: knoppix nodma" during boot because I also had the famous problem that the booting stop at "Looking for CD in:/dev/hda".

    Any suggestion to make my wireless work ? Please kindly avoid re-compiling. I am very new to Linux.

    Thank you.

    PS: I am posting another problem on Ralink/D-Link wireless USB on the PC.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2
    Are you running these commands as root? If you arent, then that could produce that problem.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12
    I tried it again. It works ok, use ndiswrapper with Windows driver.

    I really do not remember whether I did it as a root or not last time. So, I guess it might be as gebman suggested.

    Still one strange thing. This time my wireless is mounted as eth1, last time was eth0. Not sure what is the logic of hardware checking.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 02:39 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 05:41 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 11:20 PM
  4. Need Help! SMCWCBT-G wireless CardBus over Knoppix.
    By thegoddamn in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2005, 08:59 PM
  5. Netgear MA521 CardBus 802.11b wont work
    By aldend123 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 05:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00