Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: copying Knoppix to Hard Drive

  1. #1

    copying Knoppix to Hard Drive

    I'm copying knoppix from the CD onto the hard drive, according to the remastering Howto,

    but I'm getting error messages from the terminal.

    It says "cp: cannot create symbolic link '/mnt/....blahblahblah/blah' : Operation not permitted."

    Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

  2. #2

  3. #3
    i'm not trying to install it to my hard drive. I am remastering it. To do that, I copied the CD to my Hard drive.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by beajedi
    i'm not trying to install it to my hard drive. I am remastering it. To do that, I copied the CD to my Hard drive.
    I think you may need to be root.

  5. #5
    I am root when I do it, that's the thing.

    So theres something wrong when it cannot create symbolic links when I copy to the hard drive?

    In addition, it also says "failed to preserve ownership" and "cannot create special file"

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by beajedi
    I am root when I do it, that's the thing.

    So theres something wrong when it cannot create symbolic links when I copy to the hard drive?

    In addition, it also says "failed to preserve ownership" and "cannot create special file"
    You are using a linux filesystem to copy to? Not fat32 or something?

  7. #7
    yes, its a linux filesystem as well. The thing is that a lot of files do get copied, but a whole mess of them come up with the error.

    Symbolic link errors aside, I can't chroot to my mnt/hda2/KNOPPIX directory.

    it goes "chroot: /bin/bash: No such file or directory"

    But I can chroot to /KNOPPIX

    what's up wit dat?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    what copy command did you use ?

    cp -dRp

    I usually use rsync -a or tar for bulk copy.

  9. #9
    I followed the Remaster HOWTO (available on this website)

    As root, I typed this in:

    "cp -Rp /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/hda2/knx/source/knoppix/"

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    STL MO
    Posts
    3
    Didn't know cp would recreate symbolic links... Maybe I'm too stuck in UNIX. Normally I'd have to tar it then untar to location I want..

    From what I've always known tar will recreate the links, cp will convert the links to files.

    Again I'm more UNIX than Linux...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Running Knoppix 3.6 from hard drive...
    By MrGreen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 07:52 AM
  2. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
  3. knoppix & USB hard drive
    By knoxx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 03:04 AM
  4. Locating my second hard drive in Knoppix.
    By dmedici in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-19-2003, 01:13 AM
  5. how do I install Knoppix on my hard drive?
    By bubazoo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2003, 01:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99