Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: So my laptop crashed and I'm trying to recover large amounts

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4

    So my laptop crashed and I'm trying to recover large amounts

    So my laptop crashed and im trying to recover large amounts of data....we are talking into the 30gb-ish range...How am I supposed to get these files onto something? I can't burn a DVD because I'm running it as a LiveCD; is there anyway for me to send files over my network or to another computer?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Yup. I suggest FTP (cleaner and faster than samba networking, which is an alternate way to go). I suggest running an FTP server of your choice on the destination Windows system and using konquror as the ftp client on the Knoppix system.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4
    what program would you suggest for the host server? SMart FTP?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Viveck
    what program would you suggest for the host server? SMart FTP?
    I don't know smart ftp. If you do and it's a server, go ahead and use it. Any FTP server should work for this, you really don't care about features or security. I would certainly use a free one and not one that you had to pay for. I know Filezilla is free and will work, but I really didn't like it when I did install it as an FTP server, so I'll stop short of recommending it.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4
    alright I have an FTP server running on the good computer - I'm trying to figure out Konq though... I'm not sure how to connect to it properly. I've got a direct ethernet running between the two.


    edit: nevermind I figured it out...


    10mbit/sec transfer....loves it


    edit 2: I guess I spoke to soon...the trasnfer rate died and now everything perpetually stalls....no internet conn problems either....can i take it off the internet and just use straight ethernet?

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Viveck
    ....can i take it off the internet and just use straight ethernet?
    Internet not needed. Should be able to get your local IP address of the FTP server and just put ftp:\\192.168.0.100 (or whatever it is) into knoquror and start an FTP session, that's how I've done it. Not sure why you would start to see stalls. please let us know if you learn what the issue is.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Need to Recover a couple of files on a xp pro laptop
    By IndigoSeth in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2006, 06:24 PM
  2. Recover laptop (only knoppix seems to work!)
    By foxdog27 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 05:15 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-11-2005, 02:51 AM
  4. Need to recover data from crashed notebook
    By Angryguy in forum Laptops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 12:48 AM
  5. Saving a large container from crashed WinXP to external HD
    By Tito in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-06-2004, 06:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



1986-88 Antic Atari / Analog Computing Magazines Computer vtg LOT Collection 80s picture

1986-88 Antic Atari / Analog Computing Magazines Computer vtg LOT Collection 80s

$64.99



Packard Bell ISA Sound Card AD1845XP Analog Devices SoundPort DOS Win95 Untested picture

Packard Bell ISA Sound Card AD1845XP Analog Devices SoundPort DOS Win95 Untested

$25.46



Advanced Gravis Analog Controller Joystics For Tandy Computers complete in box  picture

Advanced Gravis Analog Controller Joystics For Tandy Computers complete in box

$90.98