-
Senior Member
registered user
Screen fonts in 3.2
I had a look through, and can find some discussion about this, but no resolution.
My screen font's look horrible in KDW, and in Mozilla. Windows fonts are much nicer - how do I get the same quality of fonts in Knoppix?
Thanks,
-
Senior Member
registered user
One thing you can try is to REMOVE all the FontPath entries in XF86Config-4. I was testing the fonts too and accidentally found that the best way is to let XFree86 decide what fonts to use. The result is surprisingly good. Now my desktop looks almost EXACTLY like my XP setup(in terms of font crispiness), and I am getting this without any of the MS truetype fonts. That is just using stock XFree86 4.3 fonts. Well, my chinese fonts still looks ugly in Konqueror, still experimenting.
This is a surprise, I was never been able to get such a good looking desktop, especially comparing with XP.
The FontPath setting changes the priority of what fonts to be selected and I am sure I can get the same result but why bother when I specify nothing get me what I want
One caveat though is I would suggest a reboot right after you changes the stuff as in one occation when I am messing with this(startx, quit, change and startx etc.), the machine REBOOT by itself. But it happens only once, my guess is something was not clean up, for whatever reason.
The display configuration I use is 1024x768 with X started with 100dpi(factory default).
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks, this sounds like what I need, although I'd appreciate it if you could break down the steps required to do this, since I am a complete noob to this.
Appreciate it,
Tortoise
-
Senior Member
registered user
open /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 with your favorite text editor
Find ALL the lines that said "FontPath ...."
Put a '#' in front of it.
Save the file
reboot the system.
The problem of linux is that its components change as time goes by and some once 'tips and tricks' can become useless(sometimes make things worse). This XF86 setup is one of it. I have cleaned it up a lot and found the defaults works surprisingly well, at least for my configuration.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
garyng
open /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 with your favorite text editor
Find ALL the lines that said "FontPath ...."
Put a '#' in front of it.
Save the file
reboot the system.
The problem of linux is that its components change as time goes by and some once 'tips and tricks' can become useless(sometimes make things worse). This XF86 setup is one of it. I have cleaned it up a lot and found the defaults works surprisingly well, at least for my configuration.
I just tried it and I see some improvement nice one.
BTW you don't have to re-boot just choose re-start the x-server from the menu option in the login window.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow!
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Stephen
I just tried it and I see some improvement nice one.
BTW you don't have to re-boot just choose re-start the x-server from the menu option in the login window.
Good to know that it works for others too. As for the reboot, I am just being cautious as I did come across once that making changes to the font configurations(though not XF86Config-4 but fonts.conf), and restart X and BOOM, I am in the BIOS memory testing screen and go through the painfully long fsck.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I discovered a side effect the fonts in xmms and the gimp weren't the best so I went and uncommented
Code:
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
re-started the x-server and now the fonts on both the desktop and the x apps are great.
-
Senior Member
registered user
yes, unscaled is the key, I just add these 3 lines and all the western fonts looks very nice and even my problematic chinese fonts in konqueror is now acceptable(still ugly but at least readable).
thanks for the info. Seems that the base setting would be nothing then add back the rest one by one. Don't know how it would affect printing though or is printing under linux is largely independant of X ?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
garyng
yes, unscaled is the key, I just add these 3 lines and all the western fonts looks very nice and even my problematic chinese fonts in konqueror is now acceptable(still ugly but at least readable).
thanks for the info. Seems that the base setting would be nothing then add back the rest one by one. Don't know how it would affect printing though or is printing under linux is largely independant of X ?
I believe the printing is handled by CUPS but I don't have a printer laying around to test for any side effects.
Similar Threads
-
By metavoid in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-12-2005, 01:39 PM
-
By Pumpino in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-10-2005, 06:03 AM
-
By anton123 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-28-2004, 04:46 AM
-
By XPediTioN in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-10-2004, 05:01 AM
-
By klimg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-23-2003, 02:42 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99

Apple Macintosh 512K 1MB MacSnap SCSI 128K ROM 800K + 400K Drive Keyboard Mouse
$995.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor
$250.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99

Vintage Apple Macintosh Classic 128K Game Pack 5 On New 400K Double Density Disk
$39.99

Keyboard Cable Cord - Apple Macintosh Mac 128K 512K 512Ke Plus
$12.99

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K Original Model M0001 With Keyboard and Mouse
$1799.99

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00