Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Screen fonts in 3.2

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154

    Screen fonts in 3.2

    I had a look through, and can find some discussion about this, but no resolution.
    My screen font's look horrible in KDW, and in Mozilla. Windows fonts are much nicer - how do I get the same quality of fonts in Knoppix?
    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    One thing you can try is to REMOVE all the FontPath entries in XF86Config-4. I was testing the fonts too and accidentally found that the best way is to let XFree86 decide what fonts to use. The result is surprisingly good. Now my desktop looks almost EXACTLY like my XP setup(in terms of font crispiness), and I am getting this without any of the MS truetype fonts. That is just using stock XFree86 4.3 fonts. Well, my chinese fonts still looks ugly in Konqueror, still experimenting.

    This is a surprise, I was never been able to get such a good looking desktop, especially comparing with XP.

    The FontPath setting changes the priority of what fonts to be selected and I am sure I can get the same result but why bother when I specify nothing get me what I want

    One caveat though is I would suggest a reboot right after you changes the stuff as in one occation when I am messing with this(startx, quit, change and startx etc.), the machine REBOOT by itself. But it happens only once, my guess is something was not clean up, for whatever reason.

    The display configuration I use is 1024x768 with X started with 100dpi(factory default).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    Thanks, this sounds like what I need, although I'd appreciate it if you could break down the steps required to do this, since I am a complete noob to this.
    Appreciate it,
    Tortoise

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    open /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 with your favorite text editor

    Find ALL the lines that said "FontPath ...."
    Put a '#' in front of it.
    Save the file

    reboot the system.

    The problem of linux is that its components change as time goes by and some once 'tips and tricks' can become useless(sometimes make things worse). This XF86 setup is one of it. I have cleaned it up a lot and found the defaults works surprisingly well, at least for my configuration.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    open /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 with your favorite text editor

    Find ALL the lines that said "FontPath ...."
    Put a '#' in front of it.
    Save the file

    reboot the system.

    The problem of linux is that its components change as time goes by and some once 'tips and tricks' can become useless(sometimes make things worse). This XF86 setup is one of it. I have cleaned it up a lot and found the defaults works surprisingly well, at least for my configuration.
    I just tried it and I see some improvement nice one.

    BTW you don't have to re-boot just choose re-start the x-server from the menu option in the login window.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow!

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    I just tried it and I see some improvement nice one.

    BTW you don't have to re-boot just choose re-start the x-server from the menu option in the login window.
    Good to know that it works for others too. As for the reboot, I am just being cautious as I did come across once that making changes to the font configurations(though not XF86Config-4 but fonts.conf), and restart X and BOOM, I am in the BIOS memory testing screen and go through the painfully long fsck.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I discovered a side effect the fonts in xmms and the gimp weren't the best so I went and uncommented
    Code:
            FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
            FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
            FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
            FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
            FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
            FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
    re-started the x-server and now the fonts on both the desktop and the x apps are great.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    yes, unscaled is the key, I just add these 3 lines and all the western fonts looks very nice and even my problematic chinese fonts in konqueror is now acceptable(still ugly but at least readable).

    thanks for the info. Seems that the base setting would be nothing then add back the rest one by one. Don't know how it would affect printing though or is printing under linux is largely independant of X ?

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    yes, unscaled is the key, I just add these 3 lines and all the western fonts looks very nice and even my problematic chinese fonts in konqueror is now acceptable(still ugly but at least readable).

    thanks for the info. Seems that the base setting would be nothing then add back the rest one by one. Don't know how it would affect printing though or is printing under linux is largely independant of X ?
    I believe the printing is handled by CUPS but I don't have a printer laying around to test for any side effects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. turning off screen saver / blanking at login screen
    By metavoid in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 01:39 PM
  2. How do I get MS Fonts working?
    By Pumpino in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 06:03 AM
  3. Distorted fonts
    By anton123 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 04:46 AM
  4. TTF fonts
    By XPediTioN in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2004, 05:01 AM
  5. fonts and glxgears??
    By klimg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 02:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



Lot of 4 - 16GB 2Rx8 DDR-4 2666V MHz ECC Reg Samsung M393A2K43DB2-CTD6Y Tested picture

Lot of 4 - 16GB 2Rx8 DDR-4 2666V MHz ECC Reg Samsung M393A2K43DB2-CTD6Y Tested

$300.00



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$159.95



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz picture

Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz

$87.00



Lot Of (5) Samsung 8GB 2Rx8 PC3-12800s Ram Memory picture

Lot Of (5) Samsung 8GB 2Rx8 PC3-12800s Ram Memory

$109.00



SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT picture

SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT

$150.00



Corsair Vengence Pro RGB DDR4 3200 (4x16gb) DRAM Kit picture

Corsair Vengence Pro RGB DDR4 3200 (4x16gb) DRAM Kit

$340.00