Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Please help me get my data back

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2

    Please help me get my data back

    Hello,
    I recently 'damaged' my external HD (Maxtor) & now I can't have access to it through Windows. I thought I had lost over 200GB worth of data until I found KNOPPIX. I made the CD, & when I booted Linux the Maxtor was detected & even read =D
    The problem is.... I can't seem to be able to port any data from the Maxtor to any other HD, as a backup... How can I do this?
    I am able to make folders on other HDs through Linux... But when I try to move folders from Maxtor to other HDs, a 'transfer' window is displayed, which then reads 'stalled'. This means no data is copied... All my HDs are NFTS...
    What can I do?

    Additionally, I have another issue. I bought a second external HD (Maxtor2) on which to put all data as a second backup. The problem is, Maxtor2 is only available through my local network, that is, my LAN. Linux doesn't seem to be able to read it, & an error message that reads that something (I don't recall the name) is not enabled... Any help with that, please?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Please help me get my data back

    Quote Originally Posted by neon kreuz
    .... All my HDs are NFTS...
    What can I do?
    There are some who think it is safe to write to NTFS with the latest version of Knoppix. I'm not one of them, but some people take the risk.

    What I would do in your case would be to network two computers, run Knoppix on the one with the disk that you are trying to recobver files from. Run Windows on the other one, the one with disk space available on NTFS partitions. Install a free FTP server on that system, then run it and configure it so Knoppix can use it. Then on the Knoppix system, use Konquror as a FTP client and transfer the files across the network to the NTFS disks. That way the NTFS disks are actually being written to by WIndows, not Linux. I have done this several times, it works well and is much faster than Windows networking. This is much safer than writing to NTFS with Linux (but you already found out the hard way that writing to NTFS isn't safe, even when done by Windows).

    Quote Originally Posted by neon kreuz
    ... an error message that reads that something (I don't recall the name) is not enabled... Any help with that, please?
    When trying to get help, you would be well advised to get the information that you want to ask help on. I don't know what error you got. Maybe someone could guess, but some may guess wrong.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2
    Tahnk you very much for the idea.. It sounds a lot more safe than using KNOPPIX to write on NTFS =)
    But... The problem is that I don't know much about FTP servers =( So.. Seeing you have done this several times, can you help me set it up, please?
    I have a spare laptop on this LAN which can be connected to the non-damaged HD, so I could use that... But I don't know much about what software to get, etc. Could you help me out, please?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by neon kreuz
    Tahnk you very much for the idea.. It sounds a lot more safe than using KNOPPIX to write on NTFS =)
    But... The problem is that I don't know much about FTP servers =( So.. Seeing you have done this several times, can you help me set it up, please?
    I have a spare laptop on this LAN which can be connected to the non-damaged HD, so I could use that... But I don't know much about what software to get, etc. Could you help me out, please?
    The one that I use most often is an older version, and unfortunately the newer version that has replaced it on the Web downloads has given me some configuration problems, so I don't use or recommend that (to be fair, I'm not going to give the name, as I have not looked at newer versions for several years and the problems that I hit may have been fixed).

    I know filezilla is a free open source FTP server that does work. I'm not completely endeared with it either, as it seems to want to run stuff at boot time even if you don't plan on running the FTP server that session, but if you demand a name of something that will work, there's one. A far better choice may be to do a simple search and look over the current options. This solution is often termed Google is your friend or STFW. You may not even need a free server, a 30 day free trial of a commercial server would work too, at least for this recovery.

Similar Threads

  1. Data back up using Knoppix
    By Sammy1719 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 08:22 AM
  2. I'm Back...
    By chris-harry in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 05:35 AM
  3. How to get Alt-F2 back?
    By Craig2 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 02:22 PM
  4. How do i get back into KDE?
    By dtk in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 02:58 PM
  5. CD to HDD and back again
    By spreadthecream in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2003, 02:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE

$189.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99